Coordinate Position Formats

Guest GNSS

The following are examples of valid coordinate formatsS33° 54’ 00†E137° 19’ 00â€ÂS33° 54’ 00.2†E137° 19’ 00.4â€Â-33° 54’ 00†+137° 19’ 00â€ÂS33° 54.000’ E137° 19.000’33° 54.000’S 137° 19.000’E33° 54’ 00â€ÂS 137° 19’ 00â€ÂE714211.746mE, 6246515.539mN, Zone 53The following are invalid and meaningless coordinate format examples33 54 00 137 19 0033.54.00 137.19.0033.54.000 137.19.00033.54000 137.1900033 54.00 137 19.00714211.746, 6246515.539Anybody disagree on this?

Good idea Peter, I'm slowly getting my head around all of the different formats etc and how they are each set out.I get given a lot of plots around the coastline to various wrecks, lumps, rocks, shipping containers, carbodies, aircraft, wooden palletts, scallop/sponge beds etc from old pros' and Prawn Trawlers and when travelling long distances to locate "a needle in a haystack" I wish to be given as much accurate information as I can to be able to find these spots. There's nothing worse going to a lot of bother to get to the plots only to not find it by being 10 metres off what I'm looking for. You could say I'm a bit pedantic about the accuracy of plots but for the general fisho it probably doesn't make much difference.. hence the lack of interest in this subject

Nothing wrong with being a bit pedantic Fishie.As you said, you could be only 10 meters off something, yet done 60-70 or even more Ks to find it, so accuracy is a " Must Have" in that situation.Fishie wrote:

for the general fisho it probably doesn't make much difference.. hence the lack of interest in this subject

Dunno if I neccessarily agree there mate ;) .I suspect for the avergae fisho it just seems too hard to work out ! :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

Fishie,I get a little pedantic as well, I have even mounted my external GPS antenna directly above the outboard on a nice new rod holder, this was done so the GPS signal is received at the same location as the fish finder transducer.That way, when sounding around and you see something nice on the screen, hit the mark button on the GPS and it will be at the same position as the display on the fish finder (not allowing for positional tolerance errors, HDOP level), normally the GPS receiver ant is at the front of the boat (min 10ft from FF XDCR), so for example if you are travelling west when you 'mark' the position and then approach the same position comming from the west after doing a U-turn, you would be 20ft away from the mark (plus the HDOP level, 10-20ft), so even with an accurate spot-x you could be up to 40ft away, in shallow water the XDCR may only be 'seeing' 3ft of bottom and you keep missing the spot-x.Hope it wasn't too long winded.Peter

Thanks spectrum, I've never thought of the different positions between the Transom and my gps antenna location when heading N,S,E & W... it's something I'll have to take into account from now on. That explains sometimes when I go .000 and can't see the structure.. it's because I've come from a different direction. It was even worse with plots given to me that were plotted in the early days of GPS when the Yanks had selective availability turned on as that can be out an extra 100 metres or so

Spectrum wrote:

GNSS,May I suggest that after the valid data position formats you have posted that you also include (in brackets) next to the relevant format, the abbreviation, ie .. what a person will see on their GPS (or in their manual) eg .. hddd°mm.mmm'Peter

Sounds a good idea, ok. Then most manufactures would support a fairly close standard as per the following.

hddD°h=Hemisphere and MUST be one of Latitude (N or S) Longitude E or W)D Degrees and MUST have a value even of 0 (zero), lower case d is dependent on the whole degrees value and in some cases might be a zeo or shown blank. Always followed by the symbol° hddD.ddddd°Decimal degrees where the d following the decimal point is decimal degrees and will generally require at least 5 decimal places to be meaningfull. Always followed by the symbol°

MM.mmm'MM whole Minutes range 00 to 59.mmm Decimal minutes and generally varies from 1 to 4 decimal places with 3 being meaningfull. So could be .m or .mm or .mmm or .mmmm etc Always followed by the symbol '

SS.ss"SS whole seconds range 00 to 59.ss decimal seconds and could vary from 1 to 2 decimal places for recreational purposes. So could be .s or .ss etc Always followed by the symbol "

S 33° 54’ 00†E137° 19’ 00†(hddD° MM' SS" avoid this one)S 33° 54’ 00.2†E137° 19’ 00.4†(hddD° MM' SS.s")S 33° 54.000’ E137° 19.000’ (hddD° MM.mmm')S 33.90000° E137.31667° (hddD.ddddd°)UTM displays will vary but "typical" Garmin is something like the following53 I 0714211UTM 6246515Anybody have any other common variations to that of above?For computer systems N and E could be replaced with a plus (+) sign and S and W a minus (-) sign

An information only post on GNSS :kiss: GNSS = Global Navigation Satellite SystemGLONASS is the Russian version of the US-run GPS system. It was designed as a standalone system, however the number of operational satellites has restricted usage to that of supplementing the GPS system.GLONASS development began in 1976 with a goal of achieving global coverage by 1991Following completion, the system rapidly fell into disrepair with the collapse of the Russian economyRussia committed to restoring the system in 2000In recent years Russia has diversified the program’s development by introducing the Indian government as a partner and accelerated its growth with a goal of restoring global coverage by 2010.

Then you need to get your infomation right as there is simply nothing worse then wrong infomation.I don't intend on going into details about WHY the Russians have committed to replenishing GLONASS but it doesn't have much to do with India who are committed to building their own system in due course, apart from their own GAGAN augmentation system.I will be talking to the head of the Russian Federal Space Agency in a few weeks, is there anything you would like me to fill him in on, you know something he or I might not know about :lol:All this new infomation is simply amazing news, the web must be an amzing place :dry:If you are so up with GLONASS then go start a GLONASS infomation thread as GLONASS has absolutely nothing to do with the way users abuse position formats.And just make very sure about who you start quoting, you have made one very bad mistake already in this regard, you have absolutely no idea who you are quoting and actually this is really quite funny :)

Well I wasnt going to bring your heritage into it but seeing you have mentioned it :P I believe you to be a russian spy :woohoo: intent on pushing the russian GLONNAS system to the detriment of the American GPS system which we in Australia use not withstanding the European Galileo system nor the chinese beidou system :P You wont succeed we are onto you :angry: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Further to mty previuos post If i was to put up a post and say I caught some snapper and some whiting on a new spot and the co-ordinates are 35.06.834 138.24.711 everbody on this site would go to it without a fuss and probably catch fish whilst you sit at home and procrastinate what datum ? what system? etc etc etc whilst everbody else is out there catching fishBuddy I dont think you even own a boat :huh:

gardy wrote:

Further to mty previuos post If i was to put up a post and say I caught some snapper and some whiting on a new spot and the co-ordinates are 35.06.834 138.24.711 everbody on this site would go to it without a fuss and probably catch fish whilst you sit at home and procrastinate what datum ? what system? etc etc etc whilst everbody else is out there catching fishBuddy I dont think you even own a boat :huh:

Why don't you stop for once being a lazy arogrant argumentive know it all nothing and understand numbers like that could mean absolutely anything and it is only that some dim wit computer IT web page jock in the dim dark distant past who also didn't understand what they were doing tried to cut corners because they didn't have the brains or actually understand how to write it to be meaningfull.Time to correct the lazy mistakes and attitudes of the past so there can not be any confusion what so ever and people do not have to make assumptions or read minds as you expect them to do.