Do you ever practise your casting/dry cast?

I was wondering do any of you ever go and practise your casting for distance or accuracy?last night I thought I would have a go with a custom made alvey rod and reel that I have.I had always wanted an alvey surf rod as my dad had one and I wanted to give one a try.I had the rod made by south oz rods early last year but have not used it at all.(slack hey)so I got the rod and reel ready put on a glow stick just above the 4oz sinker and went across the road to have a red hot go,lucky enough we have a school oval across the street. having never cast an alvey before I was in a bit of a muddle for the first cast but still managed about 65mnext cast I snapped the line as i forgot to take the line of that little hook thingo. {SMILIES_PATH}/embarrassed.gifand then managed between 70 and 95 metre casts for the rest of my practise session. {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif about 20 castsI learnt I need to put a swivel above the sinker as I got heaps of line twist by the time I had finished {SMILIES_PATH}/shocked.gifbut all in all I was happy with my first efforts and look forward to increasing my casting distance's with this outfit.but I think it might have some bait on it in the next few days. {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gifI did read in one of the other posts (a meet and greet I think) that someone casts about 180m I personally would love some tips.So do you ever practise your casting?Cheers Ian

Dry casting? OF COURSE! I've been doing a fair bit of Bream spinning wiv lures and plastics, so yeah, I've been dry casting.........................into mangroves, onto rock walls, into pylons, around snags, under...........................!!! {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gifSeriously though, no, all my casting is done over water, but I dont do a lot of beach fishing where I'm looking for long distance casts to reach some of them gutters either.If you ARE looking to perfect techniques for distance casting and magging a reel for long distance casting, I can put you in contact with a guy interstate who's involved in distance casting championships where they regularly cast in excess of 200-250m. He offers weekend workshops but I don't think we'd convince him to come to SA to run one. He's more than happy to help others by offering tips and sharing "trade" secrets though.

If you go into Tackleworld at O'Holloran Hill and ask for Micheal Bailey, he was the state champion only a couple of years back, or even last year, cant quite remember which, could even still be.He will certainly give you some tips if you ask.[/color:3mzw3dad]

Thanks Ranger that would be interesting talk to this "guy" of whom you speak, always interested in learning more.The best cast I have ever managed is around the 120m mark but thats with just normal run of the mill surf stuff, I thought that was ok or am I just an unco wanker?Osprey I might just do that, wrong end of town for me but I do end up down there for work sometimes and I am going to Goolwa tomorrow for my first ever cockle session {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gifI did have a good fishing teacher as my Dad was an accuracy casting champ when I was a whole lot younger (read 30+ years ago) and we fished 8 out of 10 weekends and often in the week after work/school. I remember being in the shed with Dad working on a design (he is an engineer) for sinkers with swivels in them, that was a new idea back then. He also designed a surf sinker with a work friend called a grip and glide that cast well, but buried itself into the sand as the wave action worked across it, just a pity all my Dads sinker moulds were lent out by my brother and havent been seen for years.Cheers Ian {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

S&H member, EddieMacSqid is a casting gun. He is also a top bloke and very clued up individual. He will readily offer advice if you can locate him online. {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif I believe his best cast is over the 200m mark, which is just nuts.. {SMILIES_PATH}/shocked.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gifCheers,Wino

S&H member, EddieMacSqid is a casting gun. He is also a top bloke and very clued up individual. He will readily offer advice if you can locate him online. {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif I believe his best cast is over the 200m mark, which is just nuts.. {SMILIES_PATH}/shocked.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gifCheers,Wino

I'll second that {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gifOutcasted me many a times {SMILIES_PATH}/shocked.gif
Guest Butters

gun fisho.. and i seen some of his casts before.. good 180 using his light rod.. which he also uses to catch fish with too.. (Not just comp casting)

gun fisho.. and i seen some of his casts before.. good 180 using his light rod.. which he also uses to catch fish with too.. (Not just comp casting)

Too right Butters.. Had the privelege of having a fish and a chat with him at Browns last season, and learnt quite a bit from him about casting and fishing in general. Shame he couldn't let one rip that day - bloody outer reef is in too close for him.. {SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gifCheers,Wino