Making HB lures

Hello allFor a number of weeks now i'v been wasting many of the companys time researching DIY HB lures. With little knowledge and the recent cold wet windy weather i headed out to the shed to see what i could come up with. I found some pine from a house being built down the road and brought myself a jigsaw, I traced around the lure and cut it out. I then placed it in the vice and cut more accurately with a hacksaw. By this time tea was ready and i had to put the lure down. Straight after tea I took to it with the sandpaper and formed the shape I now have. Fairly happy with my efforts so far! In the next few days I will cut the seat for the bib. Also looking for some plastic to make the bib if anyone knows? I was thinking of putting a split pin through the body as the ring to hold the hooks? good or bad idea? I know there are a few people out there making their own lures so if you could give me some guidence that would be much appreciated. Cant wait to have it painted and tested! Cheers MATT

Good on ya Matt, but be carefull, lure making can become a bit of an addiction. When your out in the shed at 2am in 5degrees, sanding blanks and bending wire, its all too late. Nah mate, its an awesome hobby and very rewarding to catch a fish on a lure you have made.I started off making them from timber, pine just as you are using, but these days im using polyurethane. With the bib slot, it is best to mark and cut that while you still have a flat peice of timber. Otherwise, it gets tricky. When I was using timber, I was using a ban saw to cut the slots, but a hacksaw will get you by. For hook hangers I use stainless steel mig and tig welding wire. If you are going to make a number of lures, you can make up a jig with some nails into a bit of timber to form the hangers.Some guys will make a loop, put it in the vice, the twist the stands to get a twisted hanger, which essentially srews into the body with the right size hole. Or you can cut the blank in half, and run use a thru-wire right through the lure, rather than separate hangers.For bib material, 2mm polycarbonate is best, depending on the size of the lure your making. Do a search for Acrylix Plastics on google.Do as much reading as you can, search lure making, and DIY lures.There are a lot of factors that you need to consider to actully get a lure to swim the way you want- the size and shape of the bib, where the tow point is placed in the bib, the angle of the bib to the lure body, the shape of the body itself, bouyancy, etc, so have a good read around.Good luck!