River Murray Mussels

came accross a lot of dead mussels on the weekend.Posted ImageI first thought they were empty oyster shells from houseboats?but they were spread out all along the river.googled and found this info:The River Mussel lives for about 30 - 50 years and is only found along the larger streams and rivers. They are well adapted to the strong currents (their shell shape varies depending on the strength of the current), and like the cool water and higher oxygen levels found in these areas. These mussels will die after a few days of being dry if water levels drop. has anyone used these for bait??

G"day Catch nun, those freshwater mussels were the best bait for Catfish, when they were around in good numbers.When I was a kid Dad would bait up two 1/0s with mussel and throw right out into the middle.And during the night he would get good numbers of big catties on them.Also I have seen occasional Callop caught on them the usual Carp, and he caught a nice Murray Cod on Mussel once at a place called castle Landing.At a place called Wall Flat, we used to know a very deep spot that had a little jetty/landing, hidden right in amongst a forest of big willows.During the day we would cast in amongst the shaded roots and catch big catties on them like they were going out of fashion, and wed let them go keeping maybe one or two for the pan.But as with most things times were much better then, sorry to reminice, but it did bring back great memories seeing those mussel shells.Cheers {SMILIES_PATH}/cool.gifps...dont try to eat them ,if you were to imagine what rubberised sh#t would be like itd be very similar {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

Nothing wrong with reminiscing Cal, especially when you are talking about our once- mighty Murray! {SMILIES_PATH}/undecided.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cry.gif At least guys our age and above can remember what it used to be like, whereas young lads of today have only just seen it as a sick-looking trickle, not even a shade of it's former self. {SMILIES_PATH}/undecided.gifLike many others, my family used to holiday regularly on The River, where my Dad's aunty used to have a shack at Blanchetown - directly opposite the 2nd boat ramp on the Hotel side of the River. We would look for yabbies under rocks, go swimming with our life-jackets on and dive for mussels in the shallows. We used to have competitions with the other kids holidaying in the vicinity about how many mussels we could unearth. Then we would keep a handful for fishing and dump the rest where they came from. We caught callop, carp and catties on the mussels with our little handlines from the bank. And we could even see 3-4ft in front of us when we were diving for the mussels! {SMILIES_PATH}/shocked.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif And bugger me, sometimes we couldn't go to the shack for our holiday break because of FLOODS!! {SMILIES_PATH}/shocked.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/shocked.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/shocked.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/sad.gif Something we haven't seen now since '93/'94.. {SMILIES_PATH}/cry.gifThe mind boggles as to what the River would've looked like in the Great Floods of '56 - the watermarks still seen etched into the cliffs some 52yrs later...A rough idea of what it was like can be gauged by the following extract : "Hotels in the main street of Mannum operated their bars from the second floor with boats tying up to the balcony. The flood water broke the levee bank on August 24, and had not fully receded until Christmas. To many locals it is common knowledge that the beginning of the roof on the visitors center in main street was the height in main street".. {SMILIES_PATH}/shocked.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif Cheers,Wino

good to see you guys reminiscing.i can't remember the mussels from years ago, but I do remember swimming accross the murray numerous times when I was younger. too cautious to make the plunge now-a-days {SMILIES_PATH}/shocked.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/shocked.gif (unless i fall out of my canoe {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif)would you say that the mussels are all along the river? will have a little dig next time I camp near some shallow water.can't taste as bad as you all make out {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif it must be the way you cook them {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif