beginner fly fisher

g'day roboi have a little bit of experience in this department, if your starting out as i understand i would go to to the five weight line in a weight forward configeration WF5F FLOATING LINES ARE MUCH EASIER FOR A STARTER TO GET ON WITH buy the best you can afford in this area as it can make a big difference to your casting!so brands to consider are rio, scientific angler, or cortland these are USA made lines & generally they cant be beaten for quality, casterability etc. TAPERED LEADERS ARE AS VARIED AS THE FLY LINES AGAIN DONT SCIMP HERE A GOOD LEADER MAKES GOOD PRESENTIONS & TIES BETTER KNOTS! IF FISHING WET FLYS (FLYS THAT SINK) I RECOMMEND FLURO CARBON TAPERED LEADERS IF FISHING FOR TROUT WITH FLOATING FLYS USE A GOOD QUALITLY NYLON LEADER WITH FLOATANT SMEARED ON IT. backing, you could use braid if the reel is lacking in storage but most fly line companys sell backing about 100 metres should suffice.as with most things practice makes better so go to local pond or river tie on a 9' tapered leader & a small fly begin by stripping 30 metres of line of the reel into the water then with the leader & COUPLE OF FEET OF FLY LINE OUT OF THE TIP (left hand holding the fly line) BRING THE THE ROD SMARTLY UP ROD OUT SLIGHTLY AT AN ANGLE TO YOUR BODY TO JUST PAST YOUR EAR THEN MOVE THE ROD QUICKLY TO ABOUT THE 10 O'CLOCK POSITION as IF YOU WERE STANDING IN A BIG ANALOGUE CLOCK AT THAT TIME YOU NEED TO RELEASE A SMALL AMOUNT OF LINE WHILE THE ROD IS STILL FLEXING AS THE FLY ON THE LEADER STARTS TO STRAIGHTEN OUT SMARTLY PULL THE ROD BACK INTO THE BACKCAST WAIT A SPLIT SECOND THEN START YOUR FORWARD CAST AGAIN RELEASING SOME MORE LINE THE FEWER TIMES YOU NEED TO DO THIS TO SHOOT THAT LINE OUT THE BETTER THE CASTER YOU BECOME.HOPE THIS HELPS, ITS A BIT HARD TO EXPLAIN EASIER TO DEMOSTRATE!