Most gaffed fish would die I'd imagine, though I guess it would depend on just where it's gaffed, and how far the gaff digs in :huh: Obviously a gaaf sunk into a fishes head, shoulder or gut is going to have to do some pretty nasty damage.I "gaffed" a Pt Jackson shark recently enough to get it into the boat only to find the point hadnt even penetrated.It would be interesting to see that show though :huh: I cant say Ive ever seen 1 where a gaffed fish has been released.Cheers

As T Bone said' date=' you can only gaff a fish you intend to release if you lip gaff it. Just like having a big hook go through their mouth. Gaff it anywhere else it will die.Cheers[/quote']Wouldnt it depend on just how the fish was handled too? Supposedly the Lip Grippers most here would know about work fine , but only if the fishes body weight is properly supported.Gaffing it would have to be the same "deal", i.e., lift it onto the shore or into a boat with pnly its head supporting its full body weight could strain its body that much that it may die anyway. ( Thats my understanding anyway )

Afishyfish your right, I would just expect it that if you intend to release the fish its treated with respect anyway. If your using a lip gripper or gaff the fish still needs to be handled correctly. I suppose some people are a little miffed on handling fish the correct way and supporting, using wet rags or gloves and if possible keeping them in the water instead of being brought into the boat in the first place.