Snapper ban in November.

sounds a bit funny....don't think it would take long for stocks to decline if everyone went out taking breeding snapper during november personally.Atleast give them a chance to have a good time :lol: still don't think it'll help my chances either way haha

Couldn't agree more.The bans IMHO are the reason SA in known for it's big Snapper, it gives them a chance. A prime example of this is when the Vic's head over here to catch a real Snapper. :lol::lol: ninja

I feel a bit sorry for the snapper actually. If you think about how many ppl are lining up to get stuck into them as they travel in numbers up the gulfs for breeding, picking them off one by one, and then think about how many ppl are still waiting to pick up the remaining fish who will then start heading back after the breeding. This alone must make a big dent in stock numbers between the two gulfs. Everyone knows when they'll arrive, and everyone wants a big snapper. And it's not like you can return fish back to the water, because most times with snapper you'll kill the bite..I don't think they could justify lifting the ban realistically... {SMILIES_PATH}/cool.gif just my 2 cents...

i know for a fact it cant be us line fishos its the pros. my mate that is a pro said this year he was getting and seeing his mates hitting tonnes per day. its just flooding the market they are shooting themselves in the foot. take half that catch and get double the money for your fish. but in saying that they have to all agree, and that wont happen. i think limit the pros catches. my 2 cents too.

Keep the closure going - it will not take long to deplete stocks again- Limit Weekly or Monthly Catch Quotas for Pros so that market flooding does not occur.- The aim for Pros should be, less fluctuation in catch - more uniformity of Price = Same money for less work - Sounds good to me, but they just cant seem to leave 'em biting.I know i Local Pro Squider who was sick of the competition and bastardisation of the local fishery; 2 years ago he invested his years profits into a large freezer.Then he negotiated a median price with a major local wholesaler/retailer.He supplies the squid on an ongoing, indented basis (with a margin to cover extra demmand). When he catches extra, he freezes it for a few weeks.This guy now works less and earns more than he did before and his price is guaranteed. If Retailers are willing, PROS ARE MAD NOT TO ENSURE THEIR INCOME AND REDUCE THEIR EFFORT. The key to this happy story is INVESTEMENT in PERSONAL INFRASTRUCTURE, and a focus on LIFESTYLE and the FUTURE rather than MONEY and the ME/NOW!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Agree with all the above, unfortunately current fisheries studies indicate Snapper have not spawned anywhere near the expected rate over the last 2 years(even though lots of pinkies are around), this could be drought related, it could be the fact that we all now know & hammer the local offshore winter spawn grounds, it could be that the last 3 summers have been exceptional catches or it could be the law of the jungle with the amount of White Sharks nailing them. Each of the last 3 years has shown a shortfall of total allowable catch from Pro sector so I can't see them taking a reduction. For what it's worth Finatic.