Flies for Carp and Redfin

most of my redfin have been caught on a black & red matuka (wetfly) the carp will also take this but my best fly for carp in the back waters on the murray or at goolwa has been a wool bodied concoction. i tie up in red & black wool with bead chain eyes i use a size 6 or 4 hook tarpon pattern hook(the cheap jarvis walker brand are good for these) . bind in the bead chain eyes on just under the eye of the hook, tie in a length of red wool to just past the bend of the hook, at the bend i then tie in black wool wind this back & forth a couple of times to make a body & tie off.fishing this fly for carp in the backwaters you can mostly sight the fish, cast the fly with in a few inches of the carps head give it a couple of twitches they will more often than not swim over & suck in the fly once you feel the take set the hook & hang on! :cheer:

• 3 weeks later...

I got some great "blade" flies from the UK last yearHandmade called "Mettz" if you google it it should come upThey are made from earings and hair sldes and are so light you can fly cast themAbsolute killer on reddies and bream as wellThe designs are simple to copy. They are usually light alloy leaf shape earings that are drilled and painted. They are only the size of your little finger nailGet down to the junk markets and make your own (or nick your girlfriends) :clap: