went to southport just before sunset on monday night, stayed down there for a bit, too windy and rainy so decided to give it the flick, on the way home thought bugger it, go to the jetty for a quick go at some squid, much to my delight, whilst i was questioning my sanity with the gusting winds and sideways rain and being the only person left on the jetty, i hooked a rather large what i thought was a squid, but turned out to be a cuttlefish, i took it home and when cleaning it, i found it to be carrying what i guess were eggs, if i had of known this was the case, i would have released her, just wondering if there is any way to tell this by sight, i know yabbies carry their eggs under their tails, just felt a bit bad is all and would rather leave pregnant sea life where it is, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kenneth,It's good to see you were prepared to do the right thing. I'm pretty sure that the eggs are carried internally (some else can correct me if I'm wrong here) so there wouldn't be anyway to tell you if she was carrying. Most likely they were unfertilised, as occyies, squid and cuttle tend to deposit them under ledges and on weed when they are fertilised. I know june, july is the cuttle mating season at whyalla and this is probably true for the rest of the state...so maybe avoid catching them then if you want to leave the egged females alone.

Not sure about cuttlefish as never caught one but i seen recently watching Adventure Bound on dvd when he caught a big squid he would hold it up to the sun light and in the middle of the back of the squid ( the lighter part ) if there was a big white area in the middle it usualy ment it was carrying eggs.