Knots - Tying heavy leader to Braid.

Just wondering what knots you all use to tie a heavy mono leader onto braid.I tie a bimini twist in my braid, then connect the leader with a yucatan knot.The problem is, a really tough leader (100lb) doesnt bend back on itself properly, so the knot doesnt pull together properly.Softer leaders are fine.What do you use? ???

Good Topic Yobbs, i have wondered that myself.Albright wouldn,t work for the same reasons , perhaps the 5 turn surgeons and doubling the braid might work.??? but that is limited by the length of leader that you can work with.Since you brought it up you let us know when you figure it out. cheers brenton

I normally use the albrights or double uni for tying leaders, but for the really heavy leaders try the twisted leader knot, as this is about the strongest knot you'll find.The bugger with this knot is pulling it up tight. Make sure you wrap a bit of rag or cloth around your hand, coz you're gonna have to use quite a bit of force and it'll cut straight through ya hand. Once it's tied though, there's no budging it, and it's pretty quick and simple to tie. I use this one on my TLD's.http://www.fishnet.com.au/library/knotsrigs/twistedleaderknot.htmlAnother to try is the Braid Leader Knot! Once again, a bugger to pull up tight in heavy line, but as strong as once tied!From the man himself, Geoff Wilson in regards to knot holding strength:

Berkely Fireline XDS 9.75 Kg (green) � Bimini Twist Double was tied to a hook and tested until the Bimini broke at 9.4 kg (20.7 lbs), 97% of the lines stated breaking strain. � Braid Snell was tied to a hook and the break was measured at 8.1 kg (17.8lbs): 83% of the line�s stated breaking strain. � Double Uni Knot: Two lengths were joined with double 6 turn Double Uni Knots and tested until the join parted at 3.8 kg (8.4 lbs) 39% of the line�s stated breaking strain. � Bimini Cats Paw Splice: Two lengths of line were joined with a Bimini Cat�s Paw Splice and tested until join parted at 5.8 kg (12.8lbs) 60% of the line�s stated breaking strain. � Albright Knot: A length of 30 lb Penn 10X monofilament was attached using an Albright knot with 14 turns (7 in each direction) and tested until the knot broke at 5.2 kg (11.4lbs) or 54% of the line�s stated breaking strain. � Silly Snell: Line was tied to a hook using a Silly Snell and the break was measured at 3.2 kg (7lbs). 33% of the line�s stated breaking strain. � Braid Ring Knot: A hook was attached using a Braid Ring Knot and tested till the knot parted at 7 kg (15.4 lbs), 72 % of the line�s stated breaking strain. � Braid Leader Knot: A length of bulk monofilament marked 50 pounds was attached by first tying a Bimini Twist Double and then a Braid Leader Knot. The join parted at 9.1kg (20 lbs), 9% 94% of the line�s stated breaking strain. Berkely Fireline XDS 17.14 Kg (green) � Bimini Twist Double was tied to a hook and tested until the Bimini broke at 19 kg (42 lbs), 111% of the lines stated breaking strain. � Braid Snell was tied to a hook and the break was measured at 15 kg (33 lbs): 88% of the line�s stated breaking strain, or about 79% of the line�s probable true breaking strain. � Double Uni Knot: Two lengths were joined with 6 turn Double Uni Knots and tested until the join parted at 11 kg (24.2 lbs) 64% of the line�s stated breaking strain, or about 58% of the line�s probable true breaking strain. � Bimini Cats Paw Splice: Two lengths of line were joined with a Bimini Cat�s Paw Splice and tested until join parted at 17 kg (37.4 lbs) 100% of the line�s stated breaking strain, or 90% of the line�s probable true breaking strain. � Albright Knot: A length of bulk monofilament marked 50 pound breaking strain was attached using a 14 turn (seven turns in each direction) Albright Knot and tested until the Albright parted at 10.5kg (23.1 lbs), 62% of the line�s stated breaking strain or about 55% of the line�s probable true breaking strain. � Silly Snell: Line was tied to a hook using a Silly Snell and the break was measured at 10.5 kg (23.1 lbs). 62% of the line�s stated breaking strain or 55% of the probable true breaking strain. � Braid Ring Knot: A hook was attached using a Braid Ring Knot and tested till the knot parted at 17.5 kg (38.57lbs); 102 % of the line�s stated breaking strain or about 92% of the line�s probable true breaking strain. � Braid Leader Knot: A length of bulk monofilament marked 50 pounds was attached by first tying a Bimini Twist Double and then a Braid Leader Knot. The join parted at 16.5 kg (36.3 lbs); 96% of the lines stated breaking strain or 87% of the line�s probable true breaking strain.

What're you targetting bloke, and more importantly, why aint I invited yet?

The type of fishing i am talkin is deep sea, where a tough leader is required,eg bottom bouncing around cliffs, wedge is, neptunes etc, hunting big samsoms, kingies etc.The knot set up I mentioned is without a doubt the strongest, but like I said, almost impossible with a stiff leader.If u use a soft leader it works, but then u sacrifice its durability around sharp ledges.In the test results u showed Ranger I think the braid leader knot is the same as the Yucatan ??? And yes u are invited ;)

Try the twisted leader knot then without a double.ps: my gear is packed, and MY knots are tied! ;D

Twisted leader is worse m8, Yucatan has only the 1 bend.Maybe we bight the bullet and use a softer leader.September 26 m8. ;)
I have some 100lb Japanese leader here I tie the twisted leader knot in. I can't tell ya what it's called though, coz I cant read Japanese! :-\Sept 26th I am free for the weekend! Fill me in on details! ;D

Try the twisted leader knot then without a double.ps: my gear is packed, and MY knots are tied! ;D

Twisted leader is worse m8, Yucatan has only the 1 bend.Maybe we bight the bullet and use a softer leader.September 26 m8. ;)
I have some 100lb Japanese leader here I tie the twisted leader knot in. I can't tell ya what it's called though, coz I cant read Japanese! :-\Sept 26th I am free for the weekend! Fill me in on details! ;D
We are booked on the charter m8, we gunna go get some samsons!!!! I will fill ya in.ps Nice work Brenton and Ranger I tied the 'improved albright' using a bimini twist in the braid. It pulled the stiff leader in really well as the knot pulled tight. I reckon that is the go for the stiff gear, and Yucatan for the softer stuff. Cheers.
  • 3 weeks later...