A couple of weeks back I ordered some books on carp and finally they have arrived. I wanted to see what these were like first before I bought any others on the topic and after a brief glance both of these books seem to be loaded with information! I understand that a lot of you look at carp fishing as a waste of time but like all fishing, I enjoy being outside and the challenge of locating and catching carp for me is always worthwhile. The River Torrens is accessible to almost everyone and on a nice day is quite a relaxing place to sit and drown some corn. When I am not fishing, I am either sorting through my gear or reading about fishing. I love to pour over any topic related to fishing that could help increase my knowledge over my quarry or the environment I like to fish in. The number of fishing books I own grows every month and always gives me something new to keep me interested and give me new perspectives on the addiction that is fishing.1) Carp Fishing Science - Jon WoodCarp Fishing Science is a book more up my alley. It is a scientific based study on carp, their feeding habits and the environment that they live in. This book covers everything you would like to know including:• Water characteristics• Lake formation and characteristics• Sediments• Natural food and food categories• Climate, water movement and aquatic dispersion• The carp• Bait• Diseases and carp careThis book looks as if it contains almost everything there is to know about carp’s behaviour and how they interact with their environment. It will prove to be a very technical but interesting read and at 263 pages should keep me busy for some time.2) FOX 'Guide to Modern Carp Fishing'The FOX 'Guide to Modern Fishing' has more of a practical focus on carp fishing itself so it includes a multitude of rigs, berley and bait. The book includes:• Proven carp rigs• Above the lead (Mainline discussion)• Bite detection• Useful knots and crimping• Modern pop-up rigs• Spodding• Non pop-up presentations• Bait• PVA and high riser tricksAt a glance, the book seems to be one big advertorial for FOX products but it is quite interesting to see how much gear you can actually use to increase your chances of catching. Some of the ideas for baiting like the use of boilies and the use of PVA bags to disperse your bait in a pile of berley are nothing short of genius! I am sure many of the poms on here are already fully aware of the techniques used but for someone who at their most technical sticks some corn of a lightly weighted circle hook this book is incredibly interesting. The book is LOADED with photos and systematic instructions and diagrams on how to set up rigs and berley in ways you would never imagine. This book certainly makes you wonder why their ideas have not really taken off here as they clearly show the best ways possible to ensure a hook up. I can certainly see this book improving my techniques on chasing carp greatly.Get out there and pick up a book!CheersSquid

I understand that a lot of you look at carp fishing as a waste of time but like all fishing' date=' I enjoy being outside and the challenge of locating and catching carp for me is always worthwhile. The River Torrens is accessible to almost everyone and on a nice day is quite a relaxing place to sit and drown some corn. CheersSquid[/quote']I'll second that love fishing even if its for carp.