Hi All,I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but I have always thought of the idea of boiling rice and then soaking in say tuna oil for 24 hours for use on tommies and garfish. Rice seems to be rather sturdy and with the added attraction of tuna oil, as well as resembling the humble gent, it just might work.Don't get out on the water enough and every time I do I keep forgeting about it.Just asking for anyone's thoughts.Savage Scorpion.

• 1 month later...
Guest dabilda

Interesting idea, but if you left it out of a fluid (oil or water) it would go hard again, never get a hook through it. Would need some experimenting with cooking time too so it didn't end up too mushy or crumble up like bread does. At the end of the day with all the stuffing around I'd rather just buy a small tub of Aarons product on my way out. Stored correctly the long life ones can last a few weeks (I've heard). Might just provide the incentive to get out again while they're still kicking.I think for the sake of a couple of $$, life would be much easier. Not knocking the idea, I'd be interested to hear how it goes if you do try it.

• 2 weeks later...

Was fishing the other day and whilst gents were alive was getting some bites but as soon as gents were past the use by date it went quit.Put fresh gents on and bites started coming again.Rice in Tuna oil might be ok but think that rice would resemble dead gents ( eg rice does not wrigle) so not sure what the success rate would be !! :icon_idea: