About to head off on a 14 day fishing escape from Cairns down to the Whitsundays. Over the last 3 weeks I have been getting all my gear ready and trying to cull the amount that I am thinking I will need. How many rods and reels do you take with you on a trip and how much tackle did you take?Virgin allow me 23Kgs plus 7kg onboard, somehow I need to take clothes with me....

Well I guess you have to decide whether you are going to use your own rods or the charter's rods and reels. Personally, I would take maybe my best one or two rods and reels and if that wasn't enough, I would use the boat's rods if need be. Presuming you have 1 piece game rods that you want to take, you will probably have to take them on the plane in a rod tube. (They can be bought for about $20-$30).The reels can normally be fit into your bags (hand luggage or not).In terms of lures, well I think the charter will probably know which lures and baits work best so I wouldn't really bother taking any over there. Other from that, I wish you the best of luck for your trip.

How about 1 Saltiga 6500 threadline loaded with 80lb braid on a 6'8" Saltiga Coastal. Suitable for casting lures, trolling, bottom bouncing and also able to handle gamefishing species.Maybe a spare spool loaded with a light line (4-6kg), and a few spools of different leader. That should cover all bases.Add a pair of sandals, a spare pair of jocks in your back pocket, and naturally a camera so that you can share the adventure with the rest of us.I would purchase terminal tackle after discussions with the locals and determination of target species, fishing areas, water depths, tidal flow, etc.Do not carry your reels in hand luggage, as I have heard of fishermen having to unspool their line prior to boarding (with fishing line classed as a dangerous weapon) and put the rod into a short and sturdy rod tube with a lock.I'd also be avoiding Qantas at the moment for fear of the flight being cancelled through industrial action.DO NOT TAKE YOUR BOOGIE BOARD!

Virgin allow me 23Kgs plus 7kg onboard' date=' somehow I need to take clothes with me....[/quote']Save space and weight by packing a Mankini Rollas. Seems Borat gets by OK. My last trip up that way,( with Virgin ) I got 4 rods into a "boss" 7' Rod Tube and booked that in thru the Cargo bay at no chargeI managed to pack most of my reels into a small back pack, and ( as Ranger suggested ) anything classified as being potentially a danger lines, hooks etc. went into my luggageA ph call to Virgin might help out, just be sure the person you deal with knows what thyere on about to avoid delays ;)

Some great comments, some of you guys should do stand up on Saturday at Rhino Room.A little more background might be helpful here.I try to do this trip every year, I was just interested in what everyone else does with their gear (freight it or take it on the plane) and if I am normal with the amount I take.Previously Virgin have allowed an extra 3 items if they were sports related and as long as none of them weighed over 23kg's. They have stopped that now so every kg over your allocated 23kg is now $15 extra.Creek fishing in Cairns, Game Tournament in the Whitsundays and 10 days sailing with a mixture of fishing types from fly to spin to bottom bashing. All adds up in the amount of gear required. Plus the wife is coming on the yacht so there is her gear as well!Ranger, the Saltiga would be a good option if I was travelling on my own but I would definately chuck in the mid sized gear as well for the fun stuff.AFF, a mankini....really? I dont think so it leaves terrible tan lines!Cheers