Yellow fin whiting are coming Soon

The water temperature is a little higher than normal. This has resulted in Snapper catches locally and good levels of crabs moving around. The Garfish will be here soon and so will the Yellow Fin Whiting. Believe it or not the YFW is one of the most sought after fish locally. They are great because anyone can fish for them land based and it doesn't cost you a fortune for normally a good yield. I would love to hear peoples tips and experiences to help me and othjer anglers who will target them soon. Here's a little snippet from FishfactsReports from Fishcare Volunteers suggest some less experienced fishers are having trouble telling the difference between yellow fin whiting (Sillago schomburgkii) and silver whiting (Sillago bassensis).The two are closely related but can generally be distinguished apart by the colour of the body and fins.The body of the yellowfin whiting is a sandy yellow colouring with the pectoral, dorsal and anal fins a light yellow colour.The body of the silver whiting or school whiting is a light olive colour on top and white below separated by a longitudinal silvery stripe.Yellowfin whiting has a minimum size limit of 24cm and a daily bag limit of 20 and a boat limit of 60. Silver whiting has no size or catch limits but fishers are encouraged to take only what they need.

I love catching these fish and eating them too. On the beach I have had considerable success using gulp sandworms on a unweighted worm hook with a size 1 or 2 splitshot about a foot infront. When you bounce this rig the shot creates a puff of sand and then the worm is dragged into the sand cloud, when they are schooled up this method works a treat.Recently i have got quite a few KGs on rattlers, so im thinking that once they get into west lakes it should be possible to rattle them up also, as they tend to be even more aggressive than Kgs

• 1 month later...