What rod will you pair this reel with?

I'm heading to Compleat Anglers for the Christmas sale to get my hands on this beautiful looking reel.http://daiwafishing.com.au/?p=3538Planning to get a 4000 model which has a drag rating of 6kg. Would it be suitable to pair this reel with an Ugly Stik rod that's rated 6-10kg? Reason I'm thinking of getting an Ugly Stik is because it's on sale at TackleWorld now. 20% off all their Ugly Stik rods and from memory, after discount, I can get a medium 6-10kg rod for around $85.Not sure if this combo'll be suitable for livebaiting for mulloways or even for use as a snapper rod though. Reckon I can MAYBE get a ray? I can always buy an OH shimano rod for the rays. :P Compleat Angler have them for $39. Rated 15-24kg. Just need to save up for a strong OH reel. :P

G'day pikk0nWhat model Ugly Stik is it, as there are so many in the range? The Daiwa reel you have shown the link to would be an ideal reel for Whiting / Rugger Snapper. When you are in Compleat Angler, if the reel does not come with a spare spool, enquire about getting one. You could spool one up with 10 - 12lb braid for your Whiting etc, and the 2nd spool with 20lb for the Ruggers. The reel will certainly handle it. Regarding the 24kg Rod....in my humble opinion, possibly too stiff for Mulloway and Snapper, but ideal for small sharks and rays. So many times I have seen anglers fishing for Snapper using a heavy action rod, and they lose the fish at the gaff, simply because a Snapper will try to dive and if there is no flex in the rod to give you time to adjust your drag, they will snap you off. Also another thing to think about, when fishing for snapper you are generally at the back of the boat, so get a rod that has adequate length so there is plenty of room to play the fish over the motor if you need to. RegardsSteve

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what model the Ugly Stiks were because I was only checking the rating for the rods. Just wondering how this brand fairs overall since you are given a lifetime warranty if you do buy one, which sounds rather good to me. :pI plan to use the 24kg to nab myself a ray but I'll need to put that rod aside and save up for a decent OH reel (doesn't have to be some retardedly expensive reel) which would handle either a small shark or a ray. I'm guessing 50lb's the go?

Overall, the Ugly Stiks are a good range of rod and you will not be disappointed with your purchase. As with all brands, they have a cheaper range then work their way up to the better quality and hence a larger price ticket. In the cheaper end of the range, there is very little difference ( if any ) to the Surecatch Sensortip, Silstar Powertip and Penn Powerstick. Compleat Angler or Tackle World should have these in stock so ask them to show you different models, play with them and make your own decision as to what will suit you, both in the type of rod and obviously the price. RegardsSteve

In the Traditional range, roughly you will pay upwards from $150.00, depending on the model. As I said in my original reply, Shakespeare have a huge range of Ugly Stik's to choose from. The best thing for you to do is pop into your local tackle store who stocks Shakespeare. They may not carry the full range, but should have enough so as you can compare the differences in each model.RegardsSteve

G'day pikk0nThe Daiwa reel you have shown the link to would be an ideal reel for Whiting / Rugger Snapper. When you are in Compleat Angler, if the reel does not come with a spare spool, enquire about getting one. You could spool one up with 10 - 12lb braid for your Whiting etc, and the 2nd spool with 20lb for the Ruggers. The reel will certainly handle it. @pikk0nAs per the specs on the Daiwa website and in the box these reels do come with a Spare Spool.

Hey pikk0n, Ever thought about the Silstar Crystal Powertips instead of the Ugly stick? Certainly not a rod to be brushed aside thats for sure. As far as value for money goes, I think you'd be hard pressed to find anything better below 100 bucks. I've got three of these rods and they have been absolutely bullet proof so far! Had em for a while now and caught fish from Whiting up to 8kg Reds and small sharks.

Hey pikk0n' date=' Ever thought about the Silstar Crystal Powertips instead of the Ugly stick? Certainly not a rod to be brushed aside thats for sure. As far as value for money goes, I think you'd be hard pressed to find anything better below 100 bucks. I've got three of these rods and they have been absolutely bullet proof so far! Had em for a while now and caught fish from Whiting up to 8kg Reds and small sharks.[/quote']I actually do own a silstar powertip. Cost me 115 from memory but got a deal with a 99 reel for 200 in total. I thought of going with the Ugly Stik because they were on sale at Tackleworld. 20% is a fair amount for a rod that's $100+