never take a bannana fishing

Guest addict

thought id put this up for a giggle in july a mate and i were heading to port augusta so for a laugh i put this rotten bannana in his tackle box when we arrived at the cabin to my freinds suprise this is what he found gee i laughed as its juices went all over his hooks and traceline that weekend we caught nothing and my freind paul went up after us and found the bannana outside the cabin and he caught nothing either so never ever take a bannana fishing with you in case you dont know its an olds wife tail not to take aPosted Image bannana with you it brings bad luck

It's true. Never should you take a banana on a fishing trip.I've been told it's from the old days that the boats that were used to transport banana's around used to burn something that put fish off the bite.this story is probably wrong but it might be close to the mark.Guru...... where are you on this one?we need your mega brain to tell us the real truth about barney bananas.

• 7 months later...

I know of a group of guys who wanted to prove this theory wrong. They set out off the West Coast in a boat, & planned to fish for whiting, but using banana as bait. They got the fish biting on razor fish, then changed to banana. All went very well, they caught a boat limit (back in the days of 60 per boat)When back on shore, fished were cleaned, & a few fillets thrown on the fryer for dinner. Whilst having dinner they were all laughing at the old wives tale. By 10am the next morning, all who were on the boat were in hospital with bad food poisoning.Also heard of a bloke who sank a boat, & had bananas on with him. From then on, he swore to never have a banana on the boat. One day, whilst out, he hit a reef, & low and behold, his second sunk boat! Turns out his wife had packed him cake for lunch, a banana cake!!!I never have bananas on my boat or while fishingCheersAposs

Many years ago when I was a bait fisherman .I went fishing with my wives brother in law.We headed to torrens island for no luck .Went to the Torrens island market ate a burger (back when I could do that).This was when you could still fish at the market .some smart guy was throwing bananas in the water.No joke the fish came on the bite thick and fast for everyone fishing there.when the bananas sank they'd go quiet until he threw more in and it would start again.

I dont know how I know this and I dont even know if it is correct, however the reason for not taking a banana on a boat stems from the Carribean. Apparently during the old days when boats were used to transport items from island to island the boats carrying bananas were the ones that come to grief. The reason being is that because the bananas were perishable they would take more risks and go out in bad weather just to get the load to the next island and get paid. So the theory rose that working on a banana transport boat bought bad luck. I think it just got bigger from there to the fact that any banana on a boat bought bad luck. Having said that, I dont take bananas on my boat.