Luring the fishies

When it comes to lure fishing I'm an absolute amateur. I grew up using bait, catching squid and raking for crabs in my old stomping grounds of whyalla. The use of lures to catch fish is a relatively new one to me but I like it and am desperate to catch my next fish on a lure. The only fish I have caught on a lure is a snook using a paravane behind the tinny but that was nearly 15 years ago. I have a good selection of lures from soft plastic to hard bodies and had a few grabs but no hook ups. Whenever I cast I get follows, wether it be snook, bream or st's. But they just don't seem to hit it. is there something I'm missing? I've tried it all slow, low, high and skimming but I just can't can't seem to entice a hook up

a wise fella once told me. put the squidgy s-factor on every lure u throw in the water. didnt work for hardbodys. but works for softies.for sts. gulp baby shrimp or squidgy wrigglers in bloodworm with a 1/32 weight jig head or lgither will get u hooked up mate. just watch ur line as it sinks and wen it acts wierd ur getting a hit and lift up into it.