50 million towards queensland fishers n boaters.

Newman pledges $80m for marine infrastructureBy Kerrin Binnie, ABC March 9, 2012, 11:40 am tweet0EmailPrintLiberal National Party (LNP) leader Campbell Newman says he will spend $80 million on marine infrastructure if he is elected to government in Queensland.Mr Newman made the announcement on the state's Gold Coast, where he plans to establish a local water authority.He says there are more initiatives for other parts of the state.Mr Newman says $30 million will be spent to establish a Gold Coast marine authority to look after waters from southern Moreton Bay to the border and to dredge the Broadwater.He says the dredging spoil will be dumped offshore or used in the construction industry."There won't be any environmental studies before the dredging starts," he said."We will put $30 million towards that waterways authority and the dredging of the Broadwater in the next four years."There will then be $50 million available over the next four years for pontoons, boat ramps and for also the creation of artificial reefs."This is about people being able to enjoy the simple pleasures of life - boating and fishing."[/quote]TB
Newman pledges $80m for marine infrastructure He says the dredging spoil will be dumped offshore or used in the construction industry."There won't be any environmental studies before the dredging starts' date='" he said.
TB
Unlike our own Port, o/harbor area that was "obvioulsy thoroughly scrutinised" b4 it was last done :blink: :whistle:Excuse the quoting Fail :blink::blush:
Unlike our own Port' date=' o/harbor area that was "obvioulsy thoroughly scrutinised" b4 it was last done :blink: :whistle:[/quote']You are in doubt that it was?If you do a search of the SARDI site, you'll find some excellent information on the environmental impact studies of the dredging site and the proposed dump sites."Review of Proposed Dredge Spoil Dump Sites in Gulf St Vincent for Dredging of Outer Harbour. Egis Consulting SA"This was independantly researched and after reading all the info provided in the report, I'm quite convinced that it was very well researched and executed, plus ongoing monitoring of the chosen dump site is continuing.You'll find it quite informative and complete, and it will help put any fears to rest. I attempted to attached a copy of the impact study PDF performed for the proposed dredge dump sites, but they are far too large to print here. If you cant find anything, let me know and I can email copies to you.

A previous conversation on the subject from 3 years ago:http://www.strikehook.com/forum/20-south-australian-marine-parks-denr/19178-sa-marine-parks?limit=15&start=105

Previously, I too had many concerned about the dredging and spoils at Outer Harbour, and I was most vocal about my concerns.However, after researching my concerns, I felt quite happy that here in SA (unlike what's going on for our Vic counterparts) the dredging was well planned, well executed and well followed up. EIS's were performed by an independant body prior to commencement, and after reading the reports, you'll see for yourself, that if the Minister for Environment chose not to abide by the recommendations, there is more than enough ammunition to have them ousted under a vote of no confidence.From the proposed spoil sites, the recommendation was for site "B" as the desired area, and this was the area eventually chosen. Fantastic news for rec fishermen, but not such good news for the prawn trawlers.Once the dredging commenced, we saw a plume of silted deoxygenated water along the metro coast, which did kill small numbers of fish through being oxygen starved, and I really think that if anyone did not realise this would happen they are living in fairyland, but these are merely "short term" effects of dredging, which pass very quickly, and we saw for ourselves, that once the silt settled and the water cleared, things got back to normal pretty much immediately. Breeding cycles were not affected, catch rates were not down, etc.As far as "long term" effects go, these are what concern you, and also what concerned me! You are worried about the caleurpa, and I was worried about silt deposits being moved around on currents in shallow gulf waters, seagrass beds and habitat being destroyed by being covered with silt, effects on resident sea flora and fauna, plus introduction of organisms foreign to the area.As a whole, I'm no longer concerned about this, as I believe it was managed well, risks were minimised, and ongoing monitoring will bring any issues to light so that they can be dealt with before they create a problem. After all this time though, I'm not aware of any issues coming to light, and I would have expected problems to surface by now surely!I believe most of the concerns regarding the dredging raised by anglers were already dealt with prior to dredging commencement, but it was actually us anglers not being aware of the facts which exacerbated the problem. Had we of sourced and read the correct information, we would have seen that our concerns for the most were unfounded.Caleurpa in this state is an issue which concerns us all, and will require constant monitoring. I have also spoken with a diver responsible for the monitoring and clean-up of caleurpa in the Pt River. From his observations caleurpa was not seen up where the dredges operated, but is most concentrated around Angus Inlet and the nearly stretch of Barker Inlet, where the water is much warmer and closer resembles it's natural habitat.Should you wish to make contact with SARDI yourself for further information, you'll find them extremely open, helpful and informative, plus they can direct you to plenty more unbiased information on this subject.

Unlike our own Port' date=' o/harbor area that was "obvioulsy thoroughly scrutinised" b4 it was last done :blink: :whistle:[/quote']You are in doubt that it was?.
Thanks for that Ranger :) Being something of a cynic tho, and having witnessed first hand the vast clouds of fine silt emanating from the operation over a long period of time, I really had my doubts, wether I was qualified in the field or not :pinch: ;) Having said that, the fishing in the area seems to have been reasonably consistent since.Sorry if Ive interrupted the thread a bit :blush:
Being something of a cynic tho' date=' and having witnessed first hand ......I really had my doubts......[/quote']Naturally any dredging is going to raise silt, dirty and deoxygenate the water in the short term, and we'd all be silly and naive to think otherwise. I think what is important though is not the short term, but instead the long term effects of the dredging and spoil dump sites selected.Now that you've had the chance to read the independant report and impact study I sent which was prepared prior to commencement of any dredging, the reasons for selection of the site, the site size, the included buffer zone, the benthic substrate and marine life in the area, the ongoing monitoring, and the recommendations made, I'd now be interested to hear your views after seeing this document in it's entirety?I'm only sorry there is no way I can attach it here for all to read, or send it via pm.....for anyone interested though, I'm more than happy to send it via email attachment.
Newman pledges $80m for marine infrastructureBy Kerrin Binnie' date=' ABC March 9, 2012, 11:40 am tweet0EmailPrintLiberal National Party (LNP) leader Campbell Newman says he will spend $80 million on marine infrastructure if he is elected to government in Queensland.Mr Newman made the announcement on the state's Gold Coast, where he plans to establish a local water authority.He says there are more initiatives for other parts of the state.Mr Newman says $30 million will be spent to establish a Gold Coast marine authority to look after waters from southern Moreton Bay to the border and to dredge the Broadwater.He says the dredging spoil will be dumped offshore or used in the construction industry."There won't be any environmental studies before the dredging starts," he said."We will put $30 million towards that waterways authority and the dredging of the Broadwater in the next four years.[u']"There will then be $50 million available over the next four years for pontoons, boat ramps and for also the creation of artificial reefs."This is about people being able to enjoy the simple pleasures of life - boating and fishing."[/[/u]quote]TB
Just a few questions I see evident in this statement:What is this marine infrastructure and water authority? What is it's aim and purpose?Why wont there be any environmental studies performed prior to dredging and disposal? Surely this is a prerequisite for any proposed project of this magnitude?Should cost blowout (as normally happens) does that then mean less in the kitty for proposed pontoons, boat ramps and artificial reef construction, or will more dollars then be forthcoming to ensure these projects still go ahead?It sounds to me like a very broad statement, with little forethought, and little by way of factual information or planning......possibly yet another in a long string of broken election promises made by politicians?

Howdy fella's...During weekends on both saturday and sunday mornings there's a great fishing show on 2SM called "Hi-Tide"I record it on my iphone and listen to it during the day as it starts at about 3.30 am our time and runs for about 3 hours... it's based in Sydney and is very informative about what is happening up and down the East Coast.http://www.2sm.com.au/hitide.htmlThis weekend they were talking about this particular subject and also the spending on many artificial reefs (the NSW Govt is actually asking local communities to put in applications requesting artificial reefs in their locale) and fish cleaning facilities at ramps with the money from the recco fishing licenses

Newman pledges $80m for marine infrastructureBy Kerrin Binnie' date=' ABC March 9' date=' 2012, 11:40 am tweet0EmailPrintLiberal National Party (LNP) leader Campbell Newman says he will spend $80 million on marine infrastructure if he is elected to government in Queensland.Mr Newman made the announcement on the state's Gold Coast, where he plans to establish a local water authority.He says there are more initiatives for other parts of the state.Mr Newman says $30 million will be spent to establish a Gold Coast marine authority to look after waters from southern Moreton Bay to the border and to dredge the Broadwater.He says the dredging spoil will be dumped offshore or used in the construction industry."There won't be any environmental studies before the dredging starts," he said."We will put $30 million towards that waterways authority and the dredging of the Broadwater in the next four years.[u'']"There will then be $50 million available over the next four years for pontoons, boat ramps and for also the creation of artificial reefs."This is about people being able to enjoy the simple pleasures of life - boating and fishing."[/[/u]quote]TB
Just a few questions I see evident in this statement:What is this marine infrastructure and water authority? What is it's aim and purpose?Why wont there be any environmental studies performed prior to dredging and disposal? Surely this is a prerequisite for any proposed project of this magnitude?Should cost blowout (as normally happens) does that then mean less in the kitty for proposed pontoons, boat ramps and artificial reef construction, or will more dollars then be forthcoming to ensure these projects still go ahead?It sounds to me like a very broad statement, with little forethought, and little by way of factual information or planning......possibly yet another in a long string of broken election promises made by politicians?
Followed the election up there a bit but only Newman himself could answer those Questions Ranger, or could he?Notice I didn't comment? That's because delivering is a whole new ball game. Still, it's more words than SA rec fishers will ever hear in our life times. Just informing others...take from it what you wilst!TB

Its a start Fishy we need more poly's to realize there a votes in supporting recreation and fishing.

Hopefully the tide is turning and Pollies are realising we vote :clap:
Yes Fishie...Labor in NSW lost almost every coastal seat last state election. The Fishers and Shooters Party gained many sitting members as well. More than the greens.Now that is sending a message!TB