Salting Pilchards

Howdy All,I've come across a whole lot of fresh pilchards. (mullies) hehe I'm from WA orginally. And they are only good for burley if nothing has been done to them.Would you suggest salting them or brine? If you could help me with a little reciepe for both that'll be great!Lines TightDyl :fishing:

Thanks for the link fishie as I am very interested in this also as every time I have used pillies they are so horrible thawed and end up flying the opposite direction to the hook :silly: so ive ended up using them as berley. A Couple of questions in that thread that went unanswered i also wonder about, does it work with frozen pillies that are thawed and where to buy fresh. Also a couple of my own, will this work with frozen whitebait or prawns as i have found both horrible to use, even considered using raw green prawns for human consumption as bait despite being expensive would that work with this method? Thanks.

Howdy Mate,With the amount of pilchards I can get I've got plenty supply for burley which i freeze into about 1/4 full garbage bags and place them into an onion bag and let it wash in the surf which seems to work a treat!But trying o save some $$$ and make the pilchards worth while for bait.Going to try both methods to get my stock up for the up and coming fishing comp!Lines tight!

Thanks for the link fishie as I am very interested in this also as every time I have used pillies they are so horrible thawed and end up flying the opposite direction to the hook :silly: so ive ended up using them as berley. A Couple of questions in that thread that went unanswered i also wonder about' date=' does it work with frozen pillies that are thawed and where to buy fresh. Also a couple of my own, will this work with frozen whitebait or prawns as i have found both horrible to use, even considered using raw green prawns for human consumption as bait despite being expensive would that work with this method? Thanks.[/quote'] The salt will also toughen the frozen mushy ones

Hey dylzzz82I salt mine with pool salt. Get 25kg bag for about $8.I put few layers of newspaper on bottom of esky then lay down few kilos of pillies then pour/spread salt over them. Then i place another few layers of newspaper over the pillies and repeat the pilchards/salt process again.Put some ice on top and close esky and let them sit for a couple days.Two days later theyre like rubber!Do you live in lincoln or know somebody that does? If memory serves me correct the lincoln pilchard boat fleet's annual pilchard quota is 32,000 tonnes! So its no problem getting a few kilos for bait!

HOwdy Nanman,I actually live in elliston. The pilchards boatds are not allowed to give you pilchards off the boat for some fishiers reason but the :spillage" on the jetty is amazing. Got myself about 20kg worth of pillies.Saving ALOT of $$$ on buying bait when from the local shop is $10 for 2kg.RIGHTO off the buy me some pool salt!Thanks to everyone on this site it is the best fishing advice site ever and when you love your fishin as much as me it's a great help!ow that the swell and wind has died down, off to see if I can get a couple of sambo's today!Lines Tight!