Carp on fly

Gidday mickyj heres take 2 of our relationship, good luck on the carp and have a good fathers day .sometimes where i fish if you hang back and look (peep) over the lip of the riverbank you may see the carp cruising the edges of the water or around weedbeds.(If the waters a bit clear) otherwise look hard for ripples on the same water,then go ahead of the fish slip down the riverbank and cast back to the carp and let it swim up to your offering this can also work for natives when the water is low but they spook a lot easier. :-* and make up ??? :) let me know how you go.cheers peelipeeli11

I know absolutely bugger all about fly fishing, and we all know that carp are bottom feeders, however, I used to "bowfish" from a canoe. We'd stand in the front of the canoe peering into the water (sightfishing) and ya could see the carp swimming about six inches below the surface. Due to this I'd suggest they'd definately take a fly tossed in their direction.

Gidday mickyj heres take 2 of our relationship, good luck on the carp and have a good fathers day .sometimes where i fish if you hang back and look (peep) over the lip of the riverbank you may see the carp cruising the edges of the water or around weedbeds.(If the waters a bit clear) otherwise look hard for ripples on the same water,then go ahead of the fish slip down the riverbank and cast back to the carp and let it swim up to your offering this can also work for natives when the water is low but they spook a lot easier. :-* and make up ??? :) let me know how you go.cheers peelipeeli11

thanks again supposedly there are some Natives alive in this section of the torrens :icon_eek:I knew about Catfish but supposedly Silver Perch and Congoli are not far from where I will be starting.Wahtever takes the fly will be a bonus it was a long fishless winter .Mind you what I know about fly fishing is in the salt so its all new to me .cheers

I know absolutely bugger all about fly fishing, and we all know that carp are bottom feeders, however, I used to "bowfish" from a canoe. We'd stand in the front of the canoe peering into the water (sightfishing) and ya could see the carp swimming about six inches below the surface. Due to this I'd suggest they'd definately take a fly tossed in their direction.

Ranger when I was younger and had no grey hairs the Carp would cruise this section of the river .and many were very very large .I will take pics If I catch something anything will do lol

Ok so today was the big day .And yes it was a failure :( I do think its to early for Carp just yet even with a 20 C day the fish didn't appear to be around .The major problems the wind a 15 to 20 knot blowing from the wrong direction.And it didn't appear to help when I crossed sides or crossed the road rather :D.And everyone was correct bread did attract ducks and the water hens.the water hen was the only thing that chased my flies.But the worst thing attracted was a big dirty "water" rat(brown body a white mark on its tail tip) .stopped me going in one direction sorry I fear snakes but I hate detest go all funny with Rats .I didn't think they'd be in the water mid morning but it was .at least the snakes were still asleep they will be moving soon :(.So from today I lost 2 flies to snags .Will need to get more flies I do tie my own salt water flies but haven't tried a fresh fly just yet .Perhaps I need to join a club .And it seems harder in the fresh than in the salt.Mind you if it want polluted I would have been wading and not on the bank fight trees and dying reeds(they do that in winter in oz).Was a lovely morning for a 2 hour walk .Made it back to mum and dads and had fathers day lunch with dad (fathers day tomorrow but I am going to the football) and before we had lunch mum dragged me off for another 20 minute walk in the other direction.Saw one or two more spots to try in coming weeks .And I tried to take a picture of some wild ducks and ducklings but by the time I had the camera out they were a bit far away but it does show the river..Salt seems easier than fresh after today :DSo heres a little pic Posted Image

My comp has died so I am replying on a different PC.Tried Friday morning lost 1 fly to a snag.Then went for a walk to another spot.On the way to the next hole I spotted some circles in the water and a rooster started crowing. looked at the fence the rooster call came from :(.When all of a sudden the water erupted to a jumping large carp.I just caught a glimpse and stopped learned on the fence at the top of the bank .There was no way with my bad legs that I could get down that bank.So with no more jumping fish I headed for hole number 2. Nothing nada .So with the wind picking up I headed back to hole number one .I crossed back to the other side of the river at this stage .And you gussed it a large carp jumped again at the same spot .Not sure if it was trying to eat a duck or something but it was large .So back I came to spot one realsed some more bread crumbs and commercial burley nothing .saw some circles under an overhanging tree and while trying to cast .You guessed it at my feet in the water there goes the top of a small carp doing a uturn .So that was my friday rdo 2 hours spent no carp hooked but i did get to see some this time.