Dug Design - Kowai

I got this nice little lure at Salisbury Tackle WorldKowaiPrice Range $25-$30Size 40gThe first think I noticed was the body has a brain like pattern to it. Now this little number has a nice little trick to it, and that is that it glows blue in the dark. I don't think there are any other lures on the market that can do this, but correct me if I’m wrong. I tried to get a picture of it glowing in the dark but found it a bit hard in the middle of the day, so I will get a picture at night when I can set up the tripod and do a time exposure.This lure has a large number of rubber skirt frills over the hooks, but these don’t seem to interfere with the hook up rate.To test this I lightly ran the lure over my hand 6 times and I hooked myself every time, so I think if a fish has a close look at it then it might be in trouble, But if a fish has a go at it the hook up rate should be right up there, which is just what we want isn’t it.I have had a chance to get this lure wet, but unfortunately I didn’t have any luck on its first outing. Due more to where I was than any other reason but I only got one small bit of weed over about 50 or so casts, and one snag but it came free ok so I was happy with that.Great for the snapper I think or any bottom dwellers, a slow retrieve or even a jig should do the trickI’m looking forward to catching something on it.So here are the picsTo be continued size=800http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/Gq7PJcXa__DSC_1808_800x600.JPG[/img] size=800http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/JZMAeU4Q__DSC_1807_800x600.JPG[/img] size=800http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/PBpkAfQE__DSC_1809_800x600.JPG[/img]

Good job there big fella, trust my opinion or not, these things brain the Snapper. Japanese technology in design, damn near impossible to miss a hookup or snag up. No need to fish heavy, 15lb braid 40lb leader, this weight is good to about 25 metres, cast far from the boat & slowly skip it back across the bottom, the results if you are anywhere near fish will blow your mind.Nearly every hookup will be on the head, chin, eye socket or gill plate so heavy leader is not needed, more natural presentation will entice any fish. Finatic

I've never used a little octopussy thingy before, so I recon I'd like to give it a go this season, as I've heard a few reports of Snapper bein cut open, only to have a belly full of baby occys.Is there a range of colours, sizes and hook sizes, or is it "one size fits all?"Who makes it? Also, being Japanese, how about hook strength? Are the hooks up to par for our tough Aussie fishies, or will they need to be changed?Geez, don't let the missus know that I'm heading to the tacklestore again! We just sold our first born child to meet last months mortgage payments! ;)

Hi Ranger,yes there are many colours and designs as well as many different brands on the market.there are different weight options and I noticed that as you go up in weight you also go up in hook size, but having said that you can change the hooks.a few of the ones that I have are,Dug Design Kowai, they have different weight and colour options.Gillies Ockta lure, different weight options but not sure about colour options but would think they will have a few colours.River 2 Sea Octo Sniper, different colour and weight options, only got these yesterday so havent taken them out of the packet yet.Cheers Ian ;D

• 7 months later...