Shimano TYRNOS 30-2 spd on a Live Fibre15-24kg stroker ZWS55XXJ

I purchased this out fit from Salisbury Tackle WorldPrice Range Reel $ check with store as there are some deals going onPrice range Rod $250ish and underI was wanting a shark/ray rod for some time and so after looked around a fair bit over many months, now I am not the sort of bloke who normally uses a lay-by system but the dollars were a bit slow work wise over winter, so I got to thinking why not use there lay-by system as they do offer it. ;DAfter talking to the guys out at STW I decided on the 30 size due to the extra line capacity over the 20 and the two speed version over the single speed, now after loading the line on and having a fish with it I’m so glad I did, if you’re in the market for this kind of reel I personally think it’s worth every extra cent to get these two speed numbers. It may just save your arm from falling off from fatigue. :oThe rod was suggested to me by Kym and I was impressed by it. But more on that later.When I finally picked up this combo after being on lay-by for a few months I had a smile from ear to ear. But unfortunately when I took the reel out of the box, the reel had a chip in the paint, when I looked closer there was a spot where the reel spanner was wedged against the reel during transit and had chipped the paint. BummerI took it back and they changed it over for me no issues, just one of those things. When I got the next new one home all was good. I had a play with the reel and the difference between a TLD and this Tyrnos was quite noticeable.I found it very smooth and the change between gears quite simple with just the push of a button.The weight of the reel once I had spooled it with 50lb Trilon was a tad under 1.33kg with the stated weight by Shimano being 1.16kg unspooled which means that I put about 170 grams of line on to it. I found that the rod wanted to turn over due to the weight of the reel/ gravity, but that’s why I got a rod with a gimble in the butt, so as to lock into the rod buckle and stop the twisting.The specks put out by Shimano read as • One Piece Die-Cast Frame (die- cast what exactly they don’t say) • 2 speed gearing (no shit Sherlock isn’t that why I spent extra $$$ for a two speed) • HEG Gearing (what the hell’s that I hear you ask, SS High Efficiency Gearing apparently) • Power Handle • Ratcheting Lever Drag • A-RB ( anti Rust bearings) but they don’t tell you how many so I assume all 4 • Aluminium Spool ( apparently much better than one made from tissue paper...derr) • Lever Drag (didn’t they cover this already?)Line retrieve per handle crank is 45” (1143mm) on high speed and 18” (457mm) on low speedLine capacity in yards is 30/600 40/450 and 50/350, but I got far more than the stated amount on due to using a thinner diameter line.It has 4 Bearings all A-RB apparentlyGear ratio is 5.0:1 high and 2.0:1 low.Now I know most blokes dont read the instruction of things but its a good idea with a reel like this as there is some important info in there as to setting the drag.The finish of the reel is quite nice in my opinion the lever action is smooth but I havent had the chance to try it when hooked up under load.but am looking forward to it when it finally does. ;)The Rod is a live Fibre as stated in the title 5'6" stroker 15-24kg roller tiphas aluminium reel seat, a nicely finished rod but then we expect that for the money we spend dont we. Not much more to add just yet, but there you go.To be continued.... size=800http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/hluwVMPk__DSC_1817_800x600.JPG[/img] size=800http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/JDSvxItM__DSC_1812_800x600.JPG[/img] size=800http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/IF0SRMth__DSC_1815_800x600.JPG[/img] size=800http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/DqQXiwRP__DSC_1814_800x600.JPG[/img]

Hey BI, I have the Tyrnos 30 myself nice reel indeed. Mine is kitted with a Texaluim 15-24kg stand up 7 footer. Used a few tims trailing skirtted lures for tuna with no luck, fished for Mullies again no luck at this stage and even on the kings, which soon will be having another go in the week. I did take it out one time at Marion Bay jetty for a bit of fun and hooked a large ray, reel worked a treat.Just curious why did you choose the two spd?

Guest Butters

Hey Big Ian, nice choice.. I have the single speed 30, with a 7ft Livefibre.. not a bad setup i think for the money.. still yet to put a propper bend in the rod, but i know its not gonna let me down either..

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Big Ian,Been almost a month now any updates on the Tyrnos, thinking about getting one myself, looks really good value on paper. I'm probably gonna go with a 7 foot live fibre for versatility i.e boat & land as I've already got a 15 kg 5'6" roller tip backbone. Roughly how much 50 lb did you get on it? I'm considering braid with mono topshot.cheers, Spog

Hi Sprog,I took it away last weekend but it did'nt get any line wet ::) so I continue to wait to give it its first proper run.as for the line I put on 50lb I took it off a 1000m spool, now this is a guess but I would say I got about 550-600M on. I will post when I land my first one with it fear not. ;)