fly leader

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Nick,After a lifetime of using differing line strengths in mono, I've finally been dragged into using the hard fluro carbon tapered leaders with very mixed feelings. :-\ :-\My first leader which cost $12 for a near 3 metre length was OK for a single sunk fly where presentation is not too important. However if I needed to tie a couple of dropper knots along it it wasn't so good due to the gradual taper not being as good for looks or knotting.My next leader was for Dry Fly and I tried two different brands with the butt ends (thick end)being so stiff as to not roll out straight while presenting the Fly gently on the water. Also, the line just bunched up on landing, instead of being straight as can be achieved with the limper mono. (don't know how familiar with Fly casting you are mate, but you just let your rod follow through and the wet line drops on the water any old how, while a Dry fly is "stopped" by the caster at an aim point about a metre above the "Rise" so as to settle gently on the water.)Another issue with the above is that fluro carbons have a low light refracting index under water which gives them near invisibility, but I question if this will apply to a silicone greased, dry fly line which is floating on the surface :-\Hope you can pick the bones out of this lot Nick and with experience of trying them out for yourself, come to your own conclusions.Good luck with your journey, hope you find it as fascinating as I have. :icon_e_biggrin:Cheers, tonyb.