Snap, Carckle, Pop!

Ok, I know the basics, have an old fly rod setup think it is an 6 weight and can hit a cricket stump from 25 meters. I have a problem though, when ever i practice with a fly it comes off! It doesn't crack like a whip but their are alot of hooks some where in the back yard! Iam pretty keen to have a fish and have made some water spider dries from the chickens after the fox massacre. Why are they breaking off?

could be your knots failing...but id bet your "cracking the whip" like u said a bit too much.make sure you stop your back/ forward cast and giv the line time to unravell..and the back yards less forgivn than water... unless ur thrown big saltyflies up north. theres no need for powerfull casts.its all timing an finess.an much much easier than peepl makeout. best advice i can giv u ...master the rollcast. most our streams dont need a long cast.. oh an the bow an arrow accounts fo most of my fish in the hills. can take anyone out who wants...got a few secret weapons up the sleeve... ;) all the bestpeacejohn

could be your knots failing...but id bet your "cracking the whip" like u said a bit too much.make sure you stop your back/ forward cast and giv the line time to unravell..and the back yards less forgivn than water... unless ur thrown big saltyflies up north. theres no need for powerfull casts.its all timing an finess.an much much easier than peepl makeout. best advice i can giv u ...master the rollcast. most our streams dont need a long cast.. oh an the bow an arrow accounts fo most of my fish in the hills. can take anyone out who wants...got a few secret weapons up the sleeve... ;) all the bestpeacejohn

thanks mate and welcome. so when the line is straight behind me begin the cast? Also how do you bow and arrow?

no worries man.... cheers. been on here for a while but never posted... (jus sussn whose catchn my trout an when....bahahahahahahahaaaaa... nah thought it bout time i contribute something. but am usually wary posting on forums...esp surrounding trout!!!!!!! :P people can be prescious.bow and arrow is one of the simplest and effective casts for our overgrown streams. jus hold ur leader in non preferred hand and pull..loading the rod....like a sling shot.then release.watch the fly doesnt stik in ur finger....it has a habit of this.if u can get a look at your back cast this may help... easier said then done...get someone to video u mayb. jus make sure ur loop has time to unravel before u punch ur forward cast. lots of people iv seen pick up a rod..tend to do big flowing arcs with no stop which ends up slappn the fly back and forth ...or into ur ear!!!!!! hard to explain....hope im making sense.... its worth gettn on youtube and watchn some vids. get on some open water too...........more fun and easier with something to aim at...an the poss of a fish. now im ramblin...bettr do some worktight loopspeace

for something interesting look up tenkara on youtube. im almost a full convert these days!!!!!!! no better presentations in my opinion. scored a nice urban rainbow las night in the middle of one of the most intense hatches iv seen. had bugs all over me. watched him for 15 minutes takn flies off the surface while i had a smoke....then couldnt take it anymore an got the fly on his nose. bin tryn to catch this fish for 3 trips now!!!!!!!!!!!

im actually surprised i havnt bumped into u the last few weeks reaper...i think we have bin crossin paths B) ill keep an eye out. that stretch is all yours tho fo a while....i think i need to rest it.might hit it one last time tonight but they see me coming now.jus so tempting on days like yesterday when my work is on its doorstep.... im getting mine on little daiwa soyokaze and the kiyose 30 sf...unbelievable sport..... flies are royal kebari... and other kebari variants... but they smashing the surface hard at the moment... an bewtifull spawn colours....peace

yeah, heaps of surface action BUT fish are very flighty. I usually fish a section then rest the area for a week or two, unfortunately more people are actively hitting the area and I just hope they are releasing these fish as they are such a precious commodity. I may hit the browns further upstream this weekend.Was your 'bow from this area?

yeah man im using them for everything now....always have them in my bag with a few flies. got sum bream last week at victor on bread flies, got dusted on a few big carp at festies centre. even squided with em an some tiny tiny tiny yo zuri squidjags i foun at victor tackle while smashin some tommies at sullies boat ramp two nights ago. best thing i ever did buyin these things. and flowing water is made for em.....u can fish one fly on all levels of water.....from dry to bottom. havent picked my flyrod up in 6 months!!!!!!!!!! i took a bloke from work down with me las night....he never even held a flyrod and i had him casting in five minutes......gave him the chanc e to get the timing right without worrrying about line everywhere. looking at your photos again im not so sure now reaper bahahahahahahahaaaaah. u know the ol ....i know that rock!!!

anyway sorry for highjackin your post hope u get onto some soon!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have a rare weekend off this one. so if either of you or anyone else needs a spotter pm me ill be out an about on the trout!!!! if u can keep quite enuff....or drive blind folded :silly: i got a couple gems i bin wanting to check out aftr the winter flows. (have no licence at the mo an my fishn buddy got the dreaded cancer this year) hence the tenkara an bein ready fo any kind o fishing evryday.peace peeplz