Stop the Super Trawler fishing in SA waters

The Victorian Government has moved today to introduce Legislation to ban Super Trawlers fromfishing in Victorian waters. Bravo Victoria.In South Australia state Labor backbencher Leon Bignell is intending to do the same by introducing a private members bill this week to stop the Super Trawler fishing of the coast of South Australia. I beg everyone here to send an email a letter or make a phone call to their local or state member and offer support to Leon Bignell and the passing of this bill. We have a massive opportunity here to Support Victoria, WA and Tasmania and encourage NSW to do the same.This way we can hopefully force Mr Geen and his Super Trawler partners to see they are not and never will be allowed to fish off the South Australian coast. We are already under alot of pressure with Marine Parks in this state dont waste the oppotunity to protect our waters from this disaster. As a local recreational fisherman i beg of you please make your voice heard and counted. I cant stress enough the importance of this opportunity we may not get another one.

Hi,Can anyone clarify how state boundaries work in the water? Also, I know there are international waters (200 nautical miles offshore I think?), but are there state and then national waters? If so, is there a chance the trawler could fish national waters but not state waters? Am I making any sense? :blush: Cheers,Dan C

Yep you're making sense to me Dan. I think youre wondering about the boaundary not only between states, if there is one, but how far out each states coastal waters would extend. " http://www.daff.gov.au/fisheriesGenerally, state/territory laws apply to coastal waters (up to 3nm) and Commonwealth laws apply from those waters out to the limit of the Australian fishing zone (200nm). "and from AMFAs sites Glossary of terms, the "OCS"An agreement between the State(s) and the Commonwealth whereby the State or the Commonwealth (or in some cases a Joint Authority) is given jurisdiction for a particular fishery occurring in both coastal waters and the AFZ. When no OCS agreement has been reached the fishery remains under the jurisdiction of the State out to 3 nm, and the Commonwealth from 3 to 200 nm.Interesting to see if this is being applied to this Trawler :unsure:

Both the Gulfs of SA and investigator straight are also state waters even though distance 'shore to shore' across is more than 3 NM.The super trawler will not be allowed to fish these areas I can assure you as it is essential for the sustainability of SA's sardine fleet.It is still prudent that we make our feelings known to state government however, I see little evidence our pollies will need to be pushed on said topic.

The South Australian Government has written to the Federal Government urging greater efforts to stop a super trawler currently docked at Port Lincoln from fishing in Commonwealth waters.SA Fisheries Minister Paul Caica has written to the federal Fisheries Minister Joe Ludwig outlining the SA Government's opposition to the ship's planned activities.He said the super trawler would not be able to fish in South Australian waters and should not be granted a Commonwealth fishing permit."If the vessel is granted approval to operate in these areas the Government would have serious concerns about the potential risk of the ship's operation to threatened, protected and endangered marine species, as well as the localised depletion of small pelagic fisheries and potential impacts on fish species that are commercially-important to this state," he said. "Significant concerns have been raised with the State Government about the potential for large quantities of sardine by-catch to occur."This would place in jeopardy the sustainable sardine fishery, which makes a significant economic contribution to our state. Of significant further concern is the potential for this vessel to damage the reputation of our state's premium green, clean seafood industry."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-05/sa-writes-to-federal-minister-about-super-trawler/4243774While Caica and I do not agree on much these days...this issue isn't one of them!TB

It is nice to see Minister Caica taking a stand, overdue.My whole premise on stopping it fishing SA waters is off the back of WA, Victoria and Tasmania's stance to it, if NSW can get onboard and all bills are passed we can circumnavigate any decision the federal Government makes, the problem will be Commonwealth waters to a large degree and how much pressure the various state Governments can apply to the Federal Government should permission be granted. Would take a bit of money to get all the available data on sustainability to appease each states concerns on various species hopefully thats enough as we know they aint got alot of money at the minute.