Need help avoiding the small scavengers.

As mentioned, looking for help or any advice on what could increase my chance of hooking a keeper for once.Lately, no matter where I fish, all I can find is the real undersized (under 20 cm) such as bream, silver trevally, Tommies. Have tried up-sizing hooks/larger bait, though they still manage to strip the bait before i have a chance to entice a larger specimen. Have been told that the bigger fish are a bit wiser and hang out deeper, not sure if this is true. Any advice is greatly appreciated.Cheers, in advance - S121.

I have fished around Tennyson, couple of the quieter jetties. Was down at Rapid bay and the bluff yesterday. Rod: Jarvis Walker Tuff Tip 6'6" spin combo. Fin-Nor Rampage 2000 reel.basic patternoster rig, size 1 sinker to deal with swell, or a bit lighter when calm. 10lb line, have been using same for trace. size 6-8 long shanks, or 2.0 for something bigger. have tried cockle thread up the hook length, blood worm, squid strips(but get less bites) and pilchard cubes.

Off the metro jetties you need to be species specific. Usually only 2 or 3 different fish will be biting off the jetties at any time and fishing generically for 'anything that comes along' usually results in a poor catch.At the moment Tommies are redaily available using gents, but you will usually have no control over the size of the fish caught. Try deeper or off the end under a float at night can help and also give you a chance for gar.YFW are around and can be caught in the shallows using bloodworm. Size 6 hooks are perfect. Unfortunately Tiny tommies and ST are all part of YFW fishing. Sometimes looking for the fish and sight casting to them can help target legal fish. Mullet are an occasional bycatch also when targeting YFW. Bream can also be caught on the same bait and rig and often you can see them around the pylons in the shallows.ST are an occassional catch off the jetties, but I would not specifically target them, rather if they are around then change techniques to suit. Pilchards are good and a bigger hook size 4 to 1 is good for average sized ST.I only use squid off the jetties for KGW and snapper, but you will need alot of local knowledge as to when and where and how to fish for these species.