Newbie needs help on road length for river fishing in a tinny and off bank

Hey guysJust joined up on here after having a good look around the forums. Wanting to start a bit of river fishing in the riverland when Im back there for holidays, so I have a quick question as to what length rod I would need for boat fishing and a bit off the bank.Currently Im looking at getting 2 rods/reels. Im looking at an ugly stik gold spin in a 6'6" 4-8kg and maybe a 5'6" 4-8 kg for the tinny. Does this seems a good way to go? or should I just get two 6'6" 4-8 kg rods to use in the tinny and off the bank?Thanks guys.

Firstly Welcome.Secondly, you are talking 2 different styles of fishing. Regardless of this you will need to work out your personal preferance. From my personall experience i prefer 9" rods from the bank, and 6" from the tinny. As metnioned by cfr, the longer rods can act like more of a lever. At time the 6" rods are more then adequete from the banks, especially if fishing in and around willows/trees.Can i suggest getting 1 rod around 9" and 1 around 6". After some trips you will soon work out what you like. On a club trip (Gawler Angling Club) to the river i will often take 4 rods, 2 x 6" and 2 x 9". I use the shorter fellas in the main streama dn the long one in the back waters/lake bonney.I hope you can take something out of my ramblings, if the only thing being that fish in a way you are comfortable, use gear you would like to.

I would be looking for rods between 6' and 7' one heavy like you mentioned 4-8kg and a lighter 2-4kg for picking up callop/carp/catty bites on shrimp ect any rod over 5kg is overkill for callop and carp same as rods over 7ft= no benifit for bank or boat fishing inland ;) You'll have far more control over a big fish with a shorter rod of around 6'.cheers

Hi guysThanks to all you for your input.I bought a 6'6" 4-8 kg and will also get a 6' 2-4kg and see how I go from there. After speaking with the father in-law in Renmark, he suggests 6 -6'6" rods will cover both scenarios well enough for an occasional fisher.I bought an Ugly Stik gold spin rod and a Shimano Cazna 4000FA reel. I know the reel is at the cheaper end but it hopefully will serve me well seeing as I only get back there a handful of times to fish. I think I'll get the same reel for the 6" 2-4kg rod I'll order?Thanks again