Are Catfish on the rise?

Went for a day trip to the Murray River (near Mannum) yesterday. Managed to catch 5 Callap (a couple of 40cm specimens) 3 carp, and 7 Catfish :clap: . until this year I have only ever caught 1 other catfish in my life and have never seen anyone else catch one. Now they seem to be more abundant in the areas I am fishing than carp! Has anyone else noticed a significant number increase upon other areas of the Murray?

I'm guessing you just hit them where it hurt. From my understanding they are still classed as rare, under DEH specification (I've read a report on local endemic fish stocks from 2010 the other day). Ecologically, it is entirely likely that some areas will be holding more (or in certain situations a LOT more) of a paticular species than others.Nice catches, though! Pictures? :woohoo:

They are certainly on the way back.My last 3 trips up the river have produced Catfish in good numbers,after 20 years of not seeing a single specimen. ;) I think their protected status should remain into the the foreseeable future ,to give them a chance at increasing their numbers even further.A rapid decline in the numbers of Carp at my favorite spot might,in some way be due to the number of Catfish competing for food. I surely hope so any way. :)