Shark fishing with circle hooks

Iv been reading up and watching programmes regarding shark fishing as I want to have a crack this summer up yorkes for a few sharks....im interested in using circle hook rigs on sharks as id like to release the majority of the sharks I catch and iv heard there is a higher survival rate if the fisherman uses circle hooks as it gets them in the corner of the mouth on the "exit" every time. the dis advantage to a "j" hook is that you ould hook the fish in the gut and vastly decrease its survival chances. does anyone have any experience regarding using the circle hook for shark fishing and your thought ? what would be a suitable bait to use when sharking with circles and how would you recommend rigging the bait up with the circle ? Does anyone think circle hooks for sharking is a waist of time ??Cheers lads.

I've used circles for Bronzies on Lower Yorkes for the last 10 years or so off the sand.Only looking for the little fella's around 3 or 4 footers,nice for a feed.......not chased big fella's,so I don't know.Hook - up rates seem to be good,and never in the gut.I think mine are 8/0,and they hold a good sized tommie or legal sized mullet well.Rigging wise,a wire trace around 40lb about 1m long to a single hook,and a good swivel to the main line,which I run 30lb.Thread the hook through the mouth and then out the gills........then,pierce the flesh between the pectoral fins on his chest,and then push the shank up into the stomach,bringing the point out through the anal area.I find that leaves a nice straight looking bait.Fish un-weighted if not much surf / swell,in a close in gutter ; otherwise a simple paternoster rig with "only as much weight as required".I prefer a dawn tide,but each to their own.Hope this helps a bit B)

yeah thanks for that Goldman...interesting how you have the hook exiting the tail section of the bait. iv always had the hook exiting the head/gill section......going through the tail as first entrance point and then piercing just behind the gills and then up through the gills. I wondered if the circle hook would still be effective in this form of presentation as just the "bend" of the hook and the point are exposed .You have ten years experience on me, and as you say your hook up rate is good so I will take what you have to say onboard thankyou.