Rods Nicked at Murray Mouth

I forgot to post this up. Was at the mouth 2 weeks ago and at least 3 rods were allegedly nicked out of rod holders on the Saturday night. I was having a chat on the way out and the guys I was chatting to and the party next to them found the rods missing them in the morning. They were real close as well whilst they slept. I forgot to ask them if they left them in and a heap of weed took them to the depths.

Had a chat to the ranger as well. If you are on the "beach" no worries even though it is in the prohibited area. They only get uptight about the dunes. He seemed happy to be fairly subjective about what constitutes the high water mark. Believe it or not the dunes are now artificially stabilised. They have planted a heap of grass in there. The mouth used to wander up and down beach, regardless of vegetation, and now they keep it in the same spot by choosing which barrages to open. Goolwa to scour the northern side and tauwicherrie (sp) to move it south. I remember 20 years ago it was a lot closer to the shacks on younghusband peninsula than it is now. The only reason the Murray Darling Basin dudes care about the dunes near the mouth is to stop them moving and drifting inwards. In times of drought without releases the dunes could move and link up with hindmarsh island etc.