Breakaway sinkers

Having never used them before, what are peoples thoughts/experience with breakaway sinkers?As of yet, I have only been comfortable fishing 4oz star sinkers plus bait with my heaviest outfit (Penn Prevail 12” 8-12kg, dont even know what it can actually comfortably throw). Certainly on some of the more energetic beaches a 4oz star is useless with any decent side current. Can one get away with more ‘anchorage’ with less weight with the breakaways vs stars? Say crudely does a “3oz breakaway = 4oz star” or something along those lines? Anyone doing the DYI thing and pouring their own standard or impact (pulley rig style) ones?A quick google brought up an east coast forum where some were DYIng them, using product from the UK off various sites; www.veals.co.uk , www.uk-hooks.com, www.gemini-tackle.co.uk.Might buy some off torpedo7 to try. Havnt been able to find any locally.

I use the UK Hooks moulds in the beach bomb grip leads in 3oz and 6oz. Grip leads hold much better than star sinkers.I can easily hold with a 3oz sinker when a 4oz star would pull out.Some of the guys here might be keen to sell sinkers but the weight shipping lead is the biggest killer.http://www.australiansurfcastingfederation.org/