Fireline or Mono off the beach ?

Iv got an old abu 7000 reel I have paired up with a 4120 rod for beach casting.....I prefer the 7000 over the 6500...even though its heavier.

Has anyone used Fireline with this sourt of set up ?

I was either going to run 30lb Fireline on the abu of 15lb Mono. I have heard Fireline is easier to control off the reel.

il be throwing about 60g of weight with the set up.

grateful for advice,

cheers,

I like Fireline and use it on almost all of my threadline outfits, especially when using lures. It is stiffer than traditional braids because it is a fused line rather then braided. For overhead reels I prefer a tradional braided line like Power Pro.

Off the beach I use braided/fused line for all my lure throwing and on my lightweight bait rigs for mullet, yfw, etc. On all of these setups I use a length of fluorocarbon leader.

On my heavier bait rigs I prefer overhead reels and run them with around 150-200m of mono line backed up with braid. I like using the mono topshot because braid + current + weed = a huge mess. I have started using braid as a backing because it lasts so much longer, so when my mono topshot is degraded from sun, salt and abrasion, rather than having to ditch a whole spool I just replace the mono. It also inceases your reel's capacity should you hook something big and need the extra line.

As far as the 7000 Abu goes, I have used them loaded with both braid and mono. As I stated, for bait I like mono and braid for lures. I know that reel will hold 300yd of 65lb Power Pro, so with 30lb line heaps more. I don't think one or the other is necessarily easier to cast with, but a birdsnest with mono is often able to be picked out and not expensive if you have to cut it out, but the same oops with braid/fused line is generally unfixable and expensive to replace.

• 1 month later...

Iv got an old abu 7000 reel I have paired up with a 4120 rod for beach casting.....I prefer the 7000 over the 6500...even though its heavier.

Has anyone used Fireline with this sourt of set up ?

I was either going to run 30lb Fireline on the abu of 15lb Mono. I have heard Fireline is easier to control off the reel.

il be throwing about 60g of weight with the set up.

grateful for advice,

cheers,

I've been using fireline off the beach for quite a while now and have found it alot better compared to mono, stick a simple fluorocarbon leader on the end and theres no trouble with sand abrasion or anything similar.

With your set up you could probably drop down to 20lb braid though, plenty strong enough to handle most fish you'd hook and you'd have more on the spool for anything big that did come along

Hi Newtontoney,

60 grams is going to be toward the lower end of casting weights for the Abu 7000. IMHO a thicker line would be better on the reel as it will cause fewer backlashes, something like 20lb mono (minimum) or 50lb braid.

I use both mono and braid off the beaches, I love the sensitivity and strength/diameter ratio of braid but prefer mono for it's abrasion resistance, stretch once a fish is on, and also because it is better when there is weed about.

When casting lures for salmon I tend to use mono of about 8lb breaking strain on an Abu 5000 reel as it just balances up so well for extra distance when required. Reasonably large fish are not a problem with a decent drag material such as Carbontex.

20140416_154441.jpg

Regards,

SB