Weird catches

• 2 months later...

I got a Morton Bay Bug at Pt Turton about 4 years ago now, I thought they were only in Qld. jagged him in the tail, didnt know what it was so threw it back, asked in the tackle shop at Warooka what it could have been, and was told that they catch quite a few of them down Corny Point way.[/color:1czmtsji] size=538http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/nJSycNjK__R0012799a.jpg[/img]

Habitat: Moderately and submaximally exposed reef, sand; 2 ? 140 m depthDistribution: SA to NSW and around TasmaniaMaximum Size: Length to 400 mmDiet: Small invertebrates, fishComments:Largest of the scorpion fishes regularly encountered by divers, anglers and gillnet fishers. Mottled red/brown colour and large pectoral fins. Very long poisonous spines at the beginning of the dorsal fin have caused numerous painful wounds. Flesh firm and tasty!Now we all should be a bit better informed.[/color:supbgsd4] size=552http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/SAxzIcrP__Gurnard.jpg[/img]

• 3 months later...

Hally, 'bugs' are often caught in crab nets from local jetties, including Brighton, Henley & Grange. However, they ain't 'Moreton Bay Bugs' as such, but they are indeed a bug and cook up nicely. I forget what they are technically called - from memory it was revealed in a FSA post a year or so ago - but they are encountered regularly from the jetties I mentioned.Cheers,Wino

Guest dabilda

Hmm maybe we should call them South Australian Bugs then coz they dont come from Moreton Bay and they are not from Balmain {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

Would that be politically correct though?? We can't have Tommies or cockles anymoreDaBlida