Soft plastics as bait

Evening all wondering if anyone else does this, When I'm whiting fishing I typically use a paternoster rig with two hooks, on one hook I'll use squid tentacle while on the other I put on a soft plastic worm or yabby, I've typically found that the soft plastic will get absoloutely smashed before the squid gets touched

When I fish it I don't put any action into the rod as you would when fishing a plastic I prefer to just fish it as a bait and let the current put the action into the plastic. I thread it onto a long shank hook the same as I'd thread the worm onto a regular jighead and find it works great

At the moment I'm putting on the berkley gulp range of soft plastics for using but wondering if anyone else knew of a cheaper brand that would work roughly the same?

With the worms I've been buying the 6 inch berkley gulp worms and cutting them down to 2 inch worms so I get 3 baits per worm but its still quite expensive compared to the squid that I use. Would using a lesser known brand and applying some scent inside the container with them work just as well or is it better to stick with the berkleys?