Stop sharks attacking your motor

I got this little tip from a fisho over on YorksWhen your out in a boat fishing always put the motor back in gear after you shut it off. This stops the prop from spinning due to tidal movement etc. Apparently the turning prop attracts sharks, hence why the always try and taste it.Now I don't own a boat but I thought I'd pass this tip on anyway.

Guest addict

Tested it out today. It doesnt work!! Now have some nice teeth marks on the leg. Of the motor that is.

Herd about the white hanging around your boat today.hooked a couple sharks ourselves this morning on snapper.Saw that ya done ok today ,Adam seems stoked getting his first on a plastic today.Good work
  • 3 weeks later...

The reasons sharks "attack" motors is because of the reaction between the motor and the sea water - it creates an electrical field which the shark is able to detect with the sensors along the front and side of the head (for those that are interested they are actually called the "ampullae of lorenzini") :icon_eek:This causes the shark to come in have a "feel" to see what is causing the impulse (unfortunately they have to feel with their teeth!) and so it looks as though they are attacking the motor. Any berley in the water would obviously create an extra sensory input :)I would say the only way to totally avoid this would be to lift the motor (but then you would lose those awesome photo opportunities!).