My new  Okuma  Fly Reel

Seeing I'm not the type to run out and buy anything on the spur of a moment.And was thinking of changing from my first reel after I broke my other reel,when I had that run in with that other fisherman last week.When I got home from my session this morning I got to thinking that my rod in fact may be an 8 weight .So with my fly rod I decided to head to a tackle shop.Found on the rod where it said 6 weight and they didn't have many reels in stock .But they did have this graphite (wont rust :wink: )Okuma reel and the price was right for me.And talking with the chap it is large arbour like my Irish reel unlike the shakespear reel .Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Mickey, as you're aware, I know little about all this fly stuff, and I'm just after some pointers for when the time comes for me to purchase!Being graphite, it would be pretty light as well as rust free, but is it also brittle (like graphite rods) needing extra care, or is it as tough and durable as any other type of reel?I had a chat with Joe Gorham yesterday, and he suggested a 6 weight rod, with a 7-8 reel, which should suit me for both fresh AND salt!By the way, is that ya lucky "hello Kitty" and pink lipstick in the background? If so, will I really need to purchase them too? :icon_eek:

Mickey, as you're aware, I know little about all this fly stuff, and I'm just after some pointers for when the time comes for me to purchase!Being graphite, it would be pretty light as well as rust free, but is it also brittle (like graphite rods) needing extra care, or is it as tough and durable as any other type of reel?I had a chat with Joe Gorham yesterday, and he suggested a 6 weight rod, with a 7-8 reel, which should suit me for both fresh AND salt!By the way, is that ya lucky "hello Kitty" and pink lipstick in the background? If so, will I really need to purchase them too? :icon_eek:

I would have thought that you would buy a 7/8 weight reel to go on the same weight Rod .I have heard of doing what you say.In fact this reel says 4/6 weight and comes of really good on the 6 weight rod .Like the Irish reel did it was a 5/6 on a 6wieght.This reel feels light like plastic but its metal .I hope its going to last me many years(I have washed it under the tap and then in more water now drip drying) but it was a cheap buy.Perhaps you have better luck with gear than me .the Irish reel was is aluminium saw one like that in the shop yesterday.Whatever REEL you buy get one with a large Arbour my back up reel has a small arbour and shockingly I can tell the difference when using it.As a novice I didn't realise small arbour needs more backing and results in the fly line being to tightly on the reel.Yesterdays purchase was really a spur of the moment buy i did no research etc .Unlike me it takes me 6months to make my mind up. Now more importantly the Hello kitty gear belongs to my almost 17 yo daughter would u like me to ask her if you could borrow it ? she got that lot in a hello kitty xmas stocking .you should see her hello kitty phone very nice ;D came all the way from asia via ebay.

Nice one mick,have heard good things about the Okuma Fly Reels,hope it serves you well.Cheers 8)

It feels very nice and the line comes off great.I just need to get used to the noise of the drag .as my wife said for the price its better to use than a $400 reel if it does die its not a strain on the bank .

Whatever REEL you buy get one with a large Arbour

Point noted and committed to memory!

the Hello kitty gear belongs to my almost 17 yo daughter would u like me to ask her if you could borrow it ?

Oh please NOOOOO! We have more than enough hello kitty gear as it is, thanks to my 35 year old wife, including the hello kitty phone on the bedside table which lights up when it rings! :icon_eek:

Whatever REEL you buy get one with a large Arbour

Point noted and committed to memory!

the Hello kitty gear belongs to my almost 17 yo daughter would u like me to ask her if you could borrow it ?

Oh please NOOOOO! We have more than enough hello kitty gear as it is, thanks to my 35 year old wife, including the hello kitty phone on the bedside table which lights up when it rings! :icon_eek:
stephanie has the mobile phone that lights up when it rings .And the best thing to do about your reel .Buy the best u can afford. I am kind of like a cross between Rambo/german storm trooper when I'm in the water .so the stronger the better or the cheaper to replace the better :).

the best thing to do about your reel .Buy the best u can afford.

Thanks for the pointer! I had it suggested to me that I can get an outfit from $100, but someone else suggested I set aside around $400 to get something of quality ($150 rod, $150 reel, $100 line).
Well thats the quandry do u spend $400 on something u may not like or go cheaper.My pflueger rod cost $175this reel cost $35Line cost $19.95 delievered from ebay.My first entire outfit cost $59 plus backing.the irish reel I broke the foot off of cost my parents $450 bucks .I was quoted $120 bucks on sinking line that dropped to $65 when I wavered .but got the $19.95 off ebay.Buy what u can afford and if u are going to keep doing it then go the dearer route.Or join a FF Club you could pick up a bargin.