Some Interesting Reading

soooooo was fishing of the bank near blanchtown doin my best to rid the world of the dreaded carp when two volenteer fisheries blokes pulled up for a chat (great blokes and great to c they were out there doin something productive for our fiseries :))but to get back to the subject at hand they gave me and my boys a heap of goodies stickers, tape measures ,dvds and some helpful info to boot :)nows where it gets interesting after reading the recreational fishing guide they supplied me with it appears we may all be wrong or the book is ......it apears we are still allowed to use as quoted blood, bone ,meat,offal/or the skin of animal including birds as long as we are more than 2 nautical miles of shore (3.7 km)so guys who is wrong the book or us ??? ???p.s did well cleaning up our river got twelve big carp a few full of eggs ;)

The book is wrong mate! You've been given the November 2006 version. It's old and that legislation was updated to NOW read:

BerleyBerleying is a method used to attract fish and is generally an accepted fishing practice. The use of certain berley may attract sharks and has the potential to endanger the lives of swimmers, divers and other water users in the same area.For this reason, blood, bone, meat, offal or the skin of an animal, including birds, may not be used as berley when fishing in any marine waters of the State.Fish and fish based products may be used.When fishing for crabs, fishers are permitted to use fish or fish based products only. It is illegal to use bone, meat, offal or the skin of an animal including birds as bait in crab nets.The legislation covering the use of berley has been amended recently.

http://www.pir.sa.gov.au/fisheries/recreational_fishing/fishing_gear/bait_and_tackle

just thought id ask as these blokes pointed out to me that the cod rules in this adition were wrong but told me all other rules were up to date ;)i wonder how many others were given this book by a representative of our fisheries and now believe the prior post to be true ?????????anyhow doesnt hurt to highlite the mistake here huh ::)

Good work mate bringing this issue to our blokes attention (karma)I've always thought that, although we have some great guys on here with extensive knowledge of fisheries Rules, that it would be even better if we had a person to liase with from Fisheries, to whom we could direct our concerns and issues. Maybe even the said volunteers.Cheers, tonyb.

it would be evenbetter if we had a person to liase with from Fisheries, to whom wecould direct our concerns and issues. Maybe even the said volunteers.

Tis a good idea, and I believe aarron intends (if he hasn't already) putting the invite out to them! My guess is that as we know they're understaffed, they've already got plenty to do as it is!We do have a few Fishwatch volunteers as members though, so maybe they can help answer a few questions!

so then technicaly if they printed it as a rules guide to fishermen then we can follow there rules without punishment ;D ;D ;D ;)??????????NOT.....they really need to rectify this though because people use these guides as a fishing bible. if it werent for sites like these then i would have been none the wiser either.....

had a few of the Volunteers in to drop of the booklets and pamphlets the other day and told them the information isnt correct Huh? they said yeah it is look its even got 2008 printed on the front cover

Possibly so, but it's still the 2006 version, as the legislation in regards to berleying was updated on 1.11.08It might be wise to contact fisheries over this one, and ask them to come in to collect the booklets, and replace them with "up to date" versions, coz at the end of the day, it's the fisho's arse on the line if they do the wrong thing and in court the current legislation would be quoted, NOT what was in an old booklet in the possesion of the fisherman.

Nicol, it is legal to use berley everywhere! I've phoned fisheries and discussed this issue with them.That berley MUST be fish or a fish based product though..............no animal or bird products.If you wanna berley up to attract fish or sharks, just stick to fish/tuna oil and fish cubes, and you'll be fine!Stupid regulation I know, believing that only red meats and chickens will attract sharks, but not fish or tuna oil. That's the law though, and we all follow the law!

oh well thats handy to know :Dyeh i dont understand the whole red meat or bird product things either but im not fussed id never use chicken even if it was legal cause i know for a fact that fish will attract not only sharks but rays, garfish, tommies, squid and salmon trout.and i have alot more fish laying around than chicken!