Snapper V Whiting

Here's a question I've pondered for quite some time, and I haven't yet had anyone give me what I would consider a reasonable answer.I'm sure many of us have been out Snappering with 3/0, 4/0, 5/0 hooks, or ganged hooks, and maybe a whole pilchard, squid or similar as bait, and have pulled in 45cm+ Whiting.This surprises me, as a fantastic bait for Snapper is Whiting heads. ???Snapper obviously like to eat Whiting, so if a herd of hungry Snappers are fired up to feed, why would any self respecting Whiting hang around looking for a feed. Surely they'd be hightailing it out of the area pronto?Can the urge to feed really be strong enough to overcome the threat from feeding predators, or are fish really much stupider than I give them credit for?If it turns out that they really ARE that stupid, why do I have so many problems catching such dumb creatures? :icon_eek:

I suspect it is because snapper both scavenge and hunt for wounded prey(like what bream usually do) and because snapper and bream have crushing teeth and are not adapted to catching healty prey, although exceptions occur. My theory is that the whiting feel safe around the snapper as whiting, although do form schools, but not dense as some baitfish such as pillies which snapper and bream can school up and easily get a feed cos there is thousands. So the whiting feel safe, even if the snapper are hungry, because snapper are generally lazy and wont waste energy targeting induvidual fish, and will only eat the dead and dying whiting.

KGW's are far too agile for snapper to catch.snapper will take a plastic lure some times at full speed when trying to retrieve quickly to go for another cast, so they aren't too lazy.we have quite a few drops we can get big KGW's & snapper both at the same time. whiting will take on big baits some timecheersBigAsh