Measuring Cockles

Hi Guys, Noting that the size limit for cockles(Pipis) is 35 mm How do you measure them. In the regs it says across the widest part of the shell. Does this mean length ways or across from/to the hinge? A cockle measured lengthways (end to end) at 35mm could be undersize if measured the other way (accross to hinge).Seems a bit tricky. Any ideas?Kinwindy

I've always thought (but not completely sure) that if any part of the cockle is more than 35mm across then its ok. That would normally (unless its a freak of nature) be from the two corners away from the hinge, if you imagine the cockle like a triangle. I hope that is clear enough explanation, it sounds good to me.

Yes it's across the cockle on the longest side, NOT from the hinged side.If you're a little dubious about the size of the cockles, a rough guage is by the colour. The juvenile (small) ones are a green/brown colour, but as they grow to maturity (legal size) they start to turn white.Also when digging, you will often strike a patch of undersized ones. Dig a little deeper in that spot, and you may well find a little further down the large one's can be found underneath the little ones.I sure does luvs me cockles! ;DPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image