i forgot to ask this question the other day when returning from a day out at st kilda on a perfect calm day there was a heap of really large branches drifting out with the tide,and i mean really large big enough to give a fiberglass boat a nice hole.where they doing some dreging recently or something of the likes,would have been nice to have had some warning if they were.some of these branches would have been 3 metres long and a good 30cm thick.

Some big tidal movements get all the dead wood floating about at times in my opinion. Seems to be around the same time of year, wether limbs fall of the mangroves during summer??? I don't know but agree there are some beauties sometimes lol. One late start on the way out I come across a railway sleepr just under the surface, didn't hit it but could see it bobbing in the water just enough to avoid it. Would of made a nice dent in the boat or worse or ripp the skeg off!!