Help for amatuer bream tackler

i am amatuer fisho and right tackle for fish is not my strong point yet just want to know i have a 6'6 ugly stick clearwater with a jarvis walker reel spooled with 10 pound mono i was using 20 pound line as my leader? i think thats what its called until i started learning and reading more i discovered the lighter the leader the less visible it is. i just bought some platypus platinum 6 pound line can i tie this to my 10 pound line as a leader to put my hooks on or tie a lure or sps to or should i have my reel spooled with 6 pound and get maybe 8-10 pound leader this will be used mainly for land based bream mullet and whiting own south also the odd salmon please help me :(

For bream, you can get away with a 2 kilo leader anywhere except for the nastiest structure. In stucture I would stick to 10lb and use the same stuff for leader or have the leader at 12lb, this is for bait fishing. If ya wanna use lures you will need to buy a seperate outfit, a 2-4 kilo graphite rod around 7 foot in legnth and a 1500-2500 reel spooled with 4-6lb braid, and at this stage you will need to learn how to tie leaders to the mainline as swivels spook the bream when using the lure. Have a fluorocarbon trace in 6lb to 10lb as a good starting point, also make the leader the legnth of the rod as you dont want the braid to spook the fish.

cheers benny i have a broken leg at the mo so ive been practicing from geoff wilsons knot and rig book i have been doing the line to leader knot so i can do that but why would you have the braid on the reel and then the leader flurocarbon i thought braid was for extra strength agains getting rubbed or bitten off?

With bream, they can be very shy at times, and at times will only hit the lure very gently and you need the braid too feel it as with mono and fluro is too stretchy. When you get a hit strike the instant you feel it otherwise its a lost fish. At times the bream can be so agressive that they will just grab it like what a salmon would do. 90% of my bream caught on lures have only hit it very lightly. Braid has a crap abrasion resistance compared to mono, and fluro is the best abrasion resistance, but some brands have a lot of memory so it cant be fished with as succesfully as mono and braid, hence why you use them as leader.

ive had a bit of luck with bream on lures and on the glenelg river with sps this was with 10 pound mono and basically we had to as soon as we felt a bump strike and skull drag them to the boat bcause they took us into the snags about 50% percent of the time but in the onk i rarely feel the bump i guess this is bcause of the mono and to high pound leader thanks for the tips mate ill be looking at getting into the tackle shop soon

hey reelinsorry to hear about your leg mate, hope ya not out for too long and are up and runnin for the onka stompa.benny has given you some solid advice there mate and if ya need more, i recommend you go see waterboy aka mark down at anglers choice on beach road. he's been lookin after me for a while now and has helped me heapsalways keen