i broke the alvey

davidm#2 wrote:

NOT THE ALVEY :( . u rekon shes done her time or will beable 2 fix it :ohmy: u must of been prety rough on the rocks with her to break

should be an easy fix...will tackle it tomroow... the good thing about them is there is hardly nothing to go wrong.i reckon its a clip... stuff it... im going out now and pull it apart...pics soon.

but when spool is fitted, it still spins the other way...which it shouldnt.pulled apart again, then found the probelm.the reel is close to 20 yrs old, used sometime 3-7 days a week,and the brass on top of the lock is a tad worn.so when the spool is on , and nuts tightened, it pulls it away from the locking gear.so i borrowed a stainless washer from the drag system, placed it between the 2 surfaces, and shes good to go.will hit the tackle shop in the morning for a replacement washer so i can put the drag washer back in its rightful place.

thats the trouble with the rocks...you get a snag, all you can do is lock it up tight, hold the spool and walk away from the water until something snapps...usually just the sinker, but often the whole rig.ive even had the line snap at the rod tip before.mostly only happens on high tides, when im well back and casting normally where i stand at low tide.but after years of faithfull use, i reckon she still has another 10 yrs at least in it.ive been meaning to buy a new alvey...didnt like the lever drag alvey a mate had.... the lever spins with the reel, so makes it harder to adjust on the go than the star drag.ive found out alvey make a 2 speed reel as well...seen it on you tube...that would be fantastic for throwing lures around a beach..but i dont do a lot of beach fishing...mostly rocks

for those that have never seen the working of an alvey..THATS IT... there is a few drag washers, a couple of caps to keep the oil in, and not much else.the triangle thing is the ratchet... and when it goes off...it will wake you from the deepest of sleeps...nothing like the scream of an alvey...loud as hell.

IT LIVES..... wohooooooooosorted the issue out.few mths ago the ratchet was very quiet.... got a new one, but in the meantime, i had placed an extra washer under the shaft, to lift it a fraction so the ratchet worked.ive had the new ratchet for mths, but forgot all about it.so when i oulled it aprt today, i seen the extra washer.took that out, and it locked in again but the ratchet coudlnt be heard.had a good look at it, and after close to 20 yrs, the brass had worn off of the corner until it was just barley touching.so finally put the new one on, and its all sweet again.if anything with the new ratchet is LOUDER...heading out at 4:30 am for a test run.