Clean my steel ?

steel wool soap pad and a bucket of soapy water..... after that get some bright shine ( its like a cotton wad) or some autosol metal polish...both around 20 bucks .bit of elbow grease is needed, but if its really bad, give it a rub with 2000 grit wet and dry..USED WET.this will clean it, but make it dull...so if you go that way, it will need to be polished afterwards.to help keep the shine, put a spray coat of clear on to..this will make it shiny.. cheap as chips have it for 3 bucks a can.its a type of paint, but a clear paint.i use it one my fishing rods, and shines them up excellant

Seein is you guys seem to know your stuff, maybe you can help me too.I've just bought a "Berkley" steel to keep with my filleting set, but I know bugger all about steels.Mine isn't a smooth ceramic one. Mine has fine grooves etched into it, running from the tip to the handle.Is this style of steel up to par, or have I bought cheap and nasty?

Some steels are good while some are crap. I think they are the best way to hone a knife to a razor edge but it took a lot of practice for me to get it down pat. Like most things if you spend a bit of cash and go with a recognised brand you'll be all right 90% of the time. Different steels require different techniques, speeds and more pressure as you run the blade over them and different blades will need different steels. A softer blade will need a corser steel and less pressure where a harder blade will need a smoother steel and more pressure. Sounds complicated but in the end you will get a sharper knife while been gentler on the blade. Some sharpeners work very well but you can see shavings coming off them as you use them. If you've got a favourite knife like me you wanna keep it for as long as possible.

Hi all.. Most steels are no good once they are "dull" in saying that if its just dirty clean it in warm water.. try to avoid steel wool as it reacts with most metals and corrodes.. buy a good one (about $80-$150) and it'll be good for years.. make sure it is "inox" stainless (they seem to be best) B)PS: the one in the top picture is finished i would say...

I'm sure the cheaper ones actually work but as with anything "you get what you pay for..!" a diamond steel i would say is too expensive for general guys like us and I am gonna buy a cheap one for my fishing bag... But i looked @ heaps when i bought mine and you can tell the difference between them.... each to they're own i reckon if you like sharp knives then go hard... ;)

gidday allThanks for the replies, I also have done some more research.Further to Kayakfishers reply , read here, Generally the type of steel the knife is made of should determine the type of stone and finishing steel to be used.ie:- Harder knife steel, softer sharpening stone. Softer knife steel, harder sharpening stone. Sharper knife ,finer steel. (knife will go dull quicker ) and need to be put to the steel more regularly Also the more the knife is used the more often it will need to be put to the sharpening stone,then just the steel for a time before repeating the process.(NEVER PUT A GOOD KNIFE TO A FAST GRINDING WHEEL)..You should be able to shave with the knife straight off the sharpening stone,then use the steel to keep this edge keen Supposed best knife steels are "F Dick" brand. This is from several butchers I know. CLEANING CERAMIC SHARPENER So far Big Ian is in front of the cleaning idears,However Jade at Master Butchers Ltd,432 Churchill Rd, Kilburnhas surgested straight bleach,I am yet to try this, watch this spaceCheers all peelipeeli14