Hey great looking fish! What a catch! Great to hear many are being released. I'm working on a program (Feral or In Peril) that is recording sightings by scuba divers and anglers and am interested in finding out where Harlequin fish (and a few others fish - see file attached) occur in SA. If anyone has caught this fish and is willing to give a rough location (no I'm not trying to steal your favourite fishing spot) then please email me details or record at www.reefwatch.asn.au or email to me at feralperil@reefwatch.asn.au (all records submitted will be kept confidential).Date, Depth, location.I have been working on a free set of identification slates (waterproof print on plastic - see attached). They will be available FREE at all good fishing tackle shops soon.....I'll make sure anyone who submits a location for any of the fish species on slates gets hold of a FREE ID slate for their boat or tackle box.Thanks! :cheer: rod_evans wrote:

my largest harlequin fish my son shane holds the state record about 4 and a half kilos only catch and release from now on as they are not that common and too unusual to killcheers rod Posted Image

:cheer:

The 'Reef Watch' and 'Feral or In Peril' are both non-government community (volunteer) driven programs. We are in no way affiliated with Government. We are fellow fishers and divers and are about providing the tools and training for you to monitor both introduced pest species (which could ultimately destroy our fisheries) as well as species about which more information is required (in order to make sure they are fished sustainably). I have almost completed 4 double sided water proof identification slates and hope that they will be useful to us all.... I'll let you know when they are available. We are happy for very general location data - although GPS coordinates would help me dive for photos :)I will try uploading a copy to Strike and Hook later this week.I thank you all in advance for assisting Feral or In Peril make our seas healthier for present and future generations.CheersFeralPeril

feralperil wrote:

The 'Reef Watch' and 'Feral or In Peril' are both non-government community (volunteer) driven programs. We are in no way affiliated with Government. We are fellow fishers and divers and are about providing the tools and training for you to monitor both introduced pest species (which could ultimately destroy our fisheries) as well as species about which more information is required (in order to make sure they are fished sustainably).

Sorry this is getting a little off track.Feralperil, if your project is a community driven program staffed by volunteer rec fishermen, and introduced to benefit the environment and sustainable fishing, many of us here would be interested to hear more about it if you'd care to put a post up sometime.