Tapley Shoal 1994 Targeting individual larger fish

I have different gear now on mine too! Remember that those videos are 15years old! ;)One day I will get around to do a video review of my current unit a Northstar M121 fully integrated via Smartcraft to the Optimaxes! ;) It is actually exactly the same unit as the SIMRAD NX45 12 NavStation. Now, although I am very happy with this unit, I still have my X16 on board, and believe me, for our local conditions, nothing beats a well setup X16! The new units are ok for people that just want to switch them on and off and run them in Auto, I like to play with all the settings :woohoo: and the X16 allows you to change parameters in a way that no other modern sounder does. This way you can custom set it for KGs or Snapper! ;) Opti

Howdy Adri, as usual a nice haul of fish. I was still running my old Lowrance Mach 1 paper chart on the snapper up until a few years ago till I went digital... the old units were pretty good in their day. I've just setup the Northstar units on my boat complete with AIS to keep track of the local shipping on my plotter when travelling in the dark. I saw Trev's unit and was swayed to get the same unit due to it's functionality.Andrew

Hi Andrew, I am realy happy with my Northstar M121 too. Great unit, very versatile and also the only one at the time I bought it that had Smartcraft integration. Now that the Navico group owns a great deal of the Electronics brands we will see a big mix of brands selling the same actual unit under different brand/model no ! Anyway, the Simrad unit above looks good but still would not integrate with my Engines. If I had 4 Stroke Suzuki or eTecs than it would be perfect! :P I still have my best two transducer on my boat that belong to the old Lowrance setup hence I have also kept the X16 which these days I only bring along when I intend to "find/understand" new areas. Any sounder is only as good as its transducers!!! This is a very, very important concept! Think of a transducer, as the Speakers of o sound system! We could buy a $20,000 Amplifier, with great specs, but if the speakers we connect to it are $200 crap, it will sound as crap! Unfortunately,in a sound system you can design thing to cover different frequency ranges with multiple speakers and or elements within a speaker. Also with sound system/speakers setup, the design is based on a specific location!(eg. a specific room), out on the ocean, conditions are very very different! Also and lastly and very important, a speaker is designed to only output a signal while a transducer has to capture it back. It is a bit as if it has to be a microphone and speaker at the same time!In those years of the videos I am posting, I was running 4 transducer off 2 Lowrance units, with switches. One of the 4 was a dual frequency one. On my current Northstar unit I am still only running a dual frequency cheap transducer. It is a 600 Watt one. You can get various 1Kw ones at $1000 a pop!!! :blink: My main issue is fitting setup. The Lowrance ones I still have are fitted through hull in different locations and offer me great advantages. I can get perfectly clear "bottom" readings at 30+ knots cruising! To fit the new Northstar 1Kw ones I will need to spend some time replacing them to the current Lowrance ones rather than adding another 2 to the hulls! As always my $0.02,Opti