new to overhead reels need a "for dummies run down

hi i have just acquired a penn 330 and as i have never really used an overhead much before (i can send the bait to the bottom lock and load with out a birdsnest) i have seen reels set so that they can be left for the bait to be picked up and run with before striking. how does one set the reel so that it wont over run when fishing in this way? i'll be using it in a boat chasing snapper and shark.

Put reel in free spool, its the silver leaver on the LHS of the picture, it'll be on the right hand side when in use. Engage the ratchet/clicker/strike alarm, not shown in picture, but probably on the side plate opposite the handle side. This is how I set up my reels if they are not being held.Otherwise use Brentons suggestion, where reel is left in gear & the drag is loosened sufficently to have line removed freely, but with enough tension to prevent an over run. I wouldnt reccommend this method from any other rod holding device other than one that holds the rod securely & preferably in the upright position.