Using a graphite rod

G`day everyone, this is my first post so i hope i push the right buttons!!I have recently bought my first graphite rod, it's a 7ft Shimano with line wieght of 4-8kg. After using Ugly Stik type rods all my life I was a bit worried that i might fish too aggressive. I tend to "high stick" the rod, and have been known to nearly rip a fishes head off when setting hooks!!Will be using this rod for everything from tommies off the jetty, flicking plastics and bottom bashing for some hopefully decent sized reds. Don't know if im just being a bit paranoid so any tips on rod use and lifting a catch into the boat would be fantastic. I would hate to break the rod tip when a slight adjustment in my fishing style could have prevented it.Cheers

Dont bash the rods against anything like you would to a fibre glass rod, as graphite fractures easier than 'glass rods. Also when you are fighting and landing a fish dont high stick the rod, cos if a fish decided to make a run or flap around, all this sudden pressure will be near the tip, which is the weakest part.