• 2 weeks later...

I'm no expert on this but i reckon you'll find that generally speaking soft plastics rods have a slightly softer tip than hard body rods for the same overall rating.I think that if you fish hb's of a soft tip rod like a loomis dropshot it will have almost a fighting curve when retrieving the lure.On the other hand if you were to use a rod like a loomis p8400 ,which is great for hb's, it probably won't have enough tip for casting or working some of the ultra light jigheads used for soft plastics.both these rods however have a perfect loaded fighting curve when using 4 or 6lb braid for bream.Don't know about flats rods.Also i'm not suggesting you need to fork out the bucks for a loomis.Just used them as an example. there are plenty of good quality carbon spin sticks out there at a reasonable price.I use a loomis p8400 for hb's and a daiwa procaster prz6101lxs for plastics.Sold plenty of these to bream guys a few years back when I worked in tackle retail.Cheers