Jig Reel Advice

Hey guys, dad and i just recieved a late christmas present in the form of the insurance company replacing stolen fishing gear.I have a Shimano Deep Jig 200 OH rod in need of a reel. I was thinking along the lines of a Torsa. But what size would i need? Im reckoning a 20 will do but hope that someone with more of an idea will help me here.

I guess it would depend on what you want to use it for and what line you're planning on using. A 200 is on the lighter end of jig rods, so i assume it's not going to be for long range stuff, jigging kingies and sampsons, more like snapper and bight redfish. So maybe 20-30 pound braid? If that's the case, then you probably don't need to spend the money on a Torsa, get something like a Tyrnos 8 or 10.

the 200 is rated to 30 to 50lb braid so although it is a lighter rod, i have been told it is enough to handle the lighter end of jigging. I dunno, it might be a bit heavy in the tip for fishing for snapper, I havent heard of snapper hitting knife jigs, and i think its a bit stiff for bait fishing.I will be taking it on a long range trip next year, but i will also have a heavier jig rod. Thinking along the lines of a Smith Nirai 55 and a Stella 20000 or 18000

fishnfreak wrote:

the 200 is rated to 30 to 50lb braid so although it is a lighter rod, i have been told it is enough to handle the lighter end of jigging. I dunno, it might be a bit heavy in the tip for fishing for snapper, I havent heard of snapper hitting knife jigs, and i think its a bit stiff for bait fishing.I will be taking it on a long range trip next year, but i will also have a heavier jig rod. Thinking along the lines of a Smith Nirai 55 and a Stella 20000 or 18000

Yeah, I don't know if snapper would hit knife jigs, I was thinking more along the lines of those Lucanus jigs, haven't used them myself, but people seem to do well with them on the snaps, and they only come in the lighter weight range.

Righto, i think a lighter tip works better with the lucanus jigs. I had a look at the tescata range, and the TCurve lucanus jig rods, and these rods all have a softer tip, for a slower bouncing of the jig. Im now looking at the Jigging Master PowerSpell PE4 reelhttp://www.jiggingmaster-ag.com/view_product_d.asp?id=103