HAS IT EVER HAPPENED TO YOU?

Im ashamed to tell you all about this but what the hell!My old man and i were havn a general chit chat bout fishn the other night, you know, remember that time etc etc..it occured to me during that convo that it must be at least 20 years since hes been fishn :ohmy: I decided to buy him 1 of those cheap kmart surf combos and take him down salty. He was very exited and the night we picked was a good 1 with good moon, good tide, 5am-ish and not a fart of wind.While were gettn ready i ask the old man if he got some bait while i was at work like i asked and he says "of coarse, i got a bag of cockles and a bag of pillies" :blink: Now i dont reckon im the smartest bloke goin around but 10 hrs or so of fishn requires a bit more than 12 pillies right?Anyhow to avoid the inevitable rgument i said no worries. I gota tell ya id have protested stonger if id realised at the time that my old mans style of fishn is to hit it hard at low tide and change your bait every 2 1/2 seconds :( .Outa bait by midnight the old man decided to have a few shots with the plastics...i know it was pointless but at least hes doin something right? :unsure:Well he tied his plastic on to his new 2 piece surf combo? and gives it an almighty rip......i see the plastic with a massive jig head go sharp left but i see the top half of the new rod i just bought him go straight out toward K.I. forever goneHe now has a 6 footer with 1 large eyeYou know at first i was pissed but on the way home it occured to me that it could be the last time he will ever fish and he kept tellin me how much fun he had. I love catchin fish but theres alot more to love about fishn than fish!

mate.... thats what fishing is all about... who cares if a fish is caught.... its the experience for me.....the first time i took my eldest daughter fishing was when she was about 5.. i got pulled over by a very friendly police officer who just had to inform me, i only stopped for 2 seconds at a stop sign when i should have stopped for 3 seconds... gee nice fellow, as he licked his pen,to write my details in a big pad with line on it, my lass said " hello" the cop looks in the back, and says " hello little lady...and where are you going today " GOTTACHA MR POLICE MAN... STRAIGHT AWAY I KNEW HE HAD KIDS" so after she said we were going to catch a fish, the ticket book went away, and the very nice man said " have a good time madam, and i hope you catch a fish"no ticket for me that day.... we hit the local beach, and i cast her in, gave her the rod, and said wind the slack in until the rod was tight...straight away 2 seconds after i gave her the rod..." DAD I GOT A FISH" ok darlin...reel it in then.IM not thinking she actually had a fish, she started winding.gets half way in, and says..." this is too slow" and then turns around and just runs up the beach all the way to the wall, but then she turns around and runs back down again.tangling the line in the sea weed,and around, under over and through itself time and time again.sigh... as i started to sort the mess out, i got to the hooks, and there was a thumping kg whiting on the bloody thing... incredible....of course, she was as proud as punch, and so was i.... then she proceeded to build sand castles :laugh: great trip that has a lasting memory for me

You know, Im sitting here laughing and smiling because I have a 12 year old daughter who I took fishing some months ago now. We decided we would go to Port Elliot and some how on the way I didnt supposedly stop at the stop sign (It was for the miniture train that runs through the town)...I couldnt beleive I was even meant to stop for that thing!!!. anyways I was very annoyed with the big fine, but Shaylee wanted to fish so we set out and gave it a try...we didnt get anything that trip but a fine, but she was keen to go fishing again so off we went to Port Norlunga jetty in salmon season. She proceeded to get the only two salmon that afternoon. A lazy 4lber which had my eyes popping out of my head as she wound it in on my snapper outfit...and then topped it off by catching a 1.5lber.now ever since then she goes remember the big fish I caught..she cant remember what sort of fish it was but just loves that she could go with dad and show everyone her skills.Im going to take her squidding more often, cos its memories of fishing with my dad that have lasted in my brain...and believe me if theyve lasted in my brain they must be good memories.Talking of dad was watching I-fish the other day where Paul took his dad out and showed him how to catch a perch on softie and I thought G wiz. Our family has a shack over yorkes and I still never get out fishing with my old man, so tommorow at lunch at the lakes Im going to try and tee up a trip to yorkes to chase the Kgs or snapps.anyway you guys are so right, fish dont matter but the family bonding definately does...I might be tearing up right now LOL :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:PS: Samantic, your dad just figured the school of mullies would just come past early in your fishing session and you would have landed your quota on the only pack of pillies LOL.That did crack me up - yes lack of bait can be killer at times especially if youve driven miles. Ive done it and seen it done where you go boat fishing with not enough bait and end up having to fish half pillies when you really need full pillies for the size of the fish that are down there LOL.as halves you would of had 24baits LOL

and to think that once apon a time we were that kid and not to far into the future we will be that dad that caused -causes our parents -kids to roll there eyes crack a smile and make- made there day and thats the best thing about this great sport we find our selves involved in forget the costs forget the stresses and get out there with someone close to you who would not go unless you hound them but then has a ball because they did..i have a son whom i bought a just like dads rod combo but now he has learnt to cast he thinks that its to short so the only rod he will use now it mt TD3piece 6ft rod and SOL 2000 reel now you dont think i cringe everytime he leans over the side of the boat in the river - sea to cast a $400 combo :huh::huh: but hey he loves it so who cares really,,then i have my dad who preaches to me for hours leading up to any fishing trip how you can catch the same fish on a cheap rod as you can on any expensive one as he loads the boat with his 20 yo pieces of :blink: only to discover that on ariving at any destination his rods stay in the rack and he uses mine :laugh::laugh: but being the grumpy old bastard he is we still drag those old rods everywhere we go and still have the same discusion on every trip..and thats what makes it fun the banter the laughs the bonding and of course if you catch a fish all the bloody better ;)